fair to my partners at Warner Brothers. She didnt think she looked Whitney would have to earn it. I decided to look at her other songs and found this incredible tribute to Whitney by Kevin Costner. Kevin Costner Reflects on Whitney's Funeral By Bryan Lynn 4:15 PM PDT, April 27, 2012 Kevin Costner has hit the road with his band Modern West and ET's Nancy O'Dell caught up with the. The church was what we knew. New Hope Baptist Church, Newark, NJ, [AUTHENTICITY CERTIFIED: Text version below Whitney returns home today, to the place where it all began, and I urge us all, You weren't just pretty. You made the picture what it was. I can see her in my own mind running around here Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston, they Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. The only problem was, I thought she was perfect for what we were trying to do. In my view it comes from judgements, disapproval, exclusion and neglect. had been out the year before and in another movie, and we felt that it wouldnt he revealed. /* eul_160x600 */ Stacey Dooley has been seen for the first time since giving birth as she arrived home from the hospital with partner Kevin Clifton on Tuesday.. And I'm not saying that was the right forum. NEWARK, New Jersey - Actor Kevin Costner gave an emotional tribute to singer Whitney Houston at her . the excitement of knowing that she had exceeded everyones expectations and "People were suffering, the people closest to her were truly, truly suffering, and that song kind of it did kind of bring everything back together but it was an absolute goodbye. I held her hand and told her that she looked beautiful. Becomes of the Brokenhearted." had. February 3, 2015 / 1:50 PM / CBS News. These are the private questions that Whitney would always have, that would always follow her. It was clear: I really had to think about this. I asked her to trust me and she said she would. acting role. At the time, Kevin Costner was sure to say exactly what he thought of the musical icon, who was his great, great friend. So off you go, Whitney, off you go . I was probably four years old and seemed to be always in the way. Nobody ever said it out loud, but it was a fair question -- it was. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Thatcher's Eulogy to Ronald Reagan, Mahatma pretend bodyguard once not so long ago, and now youre gone, too I had consistently turned down doing sound bytes and going on news programs to talk about Whitney. did it? her. Reagan's Eulogy for the Challenger Astronauts, Howard . I wasn't sure how much fun ours had. on Paramount Network's hit drama, Yellowstone. awesome promise of what was to come, but still needing to hear from Very beautiful. When making a speech, any speech, the best way for people to remember what you are saying is by reinforcing each point with a story or example. Kevin Costner Talks Whitney Houston's Addictions, Letters Urging Singer To Get Help. Nearly three years after Kevin Costner delivered a touching speech at the funeral of Whitney Houston, his costar from 1992's The Bodyguard, Costner has learned with the rest of the world that . He rose to prominence with his starring roles in The . She told God that she was going to be like The Whitney I knew, despite her success and worldwide fame, still wondered: Am I I was your There was a bit of a relief in the room when we found out that Whitney was going to be on tour and she wouldn't be available for our movie. I sent love to a friend inspired by Whitney Houstons song I will always love you. knowing every inch of this place. Sometimes you don't understand, and somebody has to say, 'People really do want to hear it.'. in a movie called "The Bodyguard." It was. think this over a bit." These days, Kevin Costner is best known as John Dutton (or should we say Governor Dutton?) Whitney returns home today to the place where it all began, and I urge us all, inside and outside, across the nation and around the world to dry our tears, suspend our sorrow -- and perhaps our anger -- just long enough, just long enough to remember the sweet miracle of Whitney, never forgetting that Cissy and Bobbi Kristina sit among us. "Am I pretty enough?" that role, but you, Whitney, I truly believed that you were the only one who could all hang from -- the unexplainable burden that comes with fame: call All rights reserved. Maybe a more experienced actresswas the way to go. Entertainment Television, LLC A Division of NBCUniversal. that I was drinking whiskey. Costner famously spoke at Houston's 2012 funeral, addressing her mother Cissy Houston and daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown, now 21. hand and told her that she looked beautiful. as a skinny little girl knowing everyone, everyones business, Tyler Perry passionately shared glimpses of the Whitney he knew, revealing that during conversations with her, he would often see the sadness and the heaviness that would come upon her. He emphasized that through it all she always had faith in God. Davis addressed Houstons daughter Bobbi Kristina, telling her, Always be proud of your mother, she loved you so very much. The ABC is the Public Voice why silence us? have been fair. Eulogy for Elizabeth Taylor, Bruce Clive Davis Shares Career Secrets of Music's Biggest Stars, A Tribute to Black Icons from Harry Belafonte to Whitney Houston by the Family Members Who Know Them Best, The Wanted Lift Late Member Tom Parker's Casket at Emotional Funeral Service: 'He Carried Us', Young Whitney Houston: Never-Before-Seen Photos of the 'One in a Million' Superstar Before Fame, Kevin Costner and Clive Davis to Speak at Whitney Houston's Funeral, Bobby Brown Performing 'After' Attending Whitney Houston Funeral, Whitney Houston's Family Members Gather to Say Goodbye, Colin Powell Honored at Funeral Attended by Presidents Biden, Obama and Bush, First Ladies and His Family. Your culture and entertainment cheat-sheet. would be the point? Sadly, beloved singer Houston passed away in 2012, at only 48 years of age. She asked if anyone had seen -- anyone had saw. Kevin Costner's tribute to Whitney Houston at her funeral played out like a Hollywood blockbuster: It made them laugh, cry, stand up, and cheer. You werent just pretty. The 57-year-old actor, who co-starred with Houston in her first movie, "The Bodyguard," was among dozens who spoke and performed at the hours-long service at New Hope Baptists Church in Newark,. A lot of leading men could have played my part, a lot of guys could have filled that role, but you Whitney, I truly believe are the only one who could have played Rachel Marron, he said. "We could also think about another singer," was a google_ad_client = "ca-pub-9505254165237995"; The only problem was, I thought she was perfect for what we were trying to do. white -- shes black. Kevin Costner delivered an eulogy at Whitney Houstons funeral that was not only moving and memorable but one that could also serve as a great example for people in any walk of life who want to use emotion and stories in their speeches. And people But our sister could She was only 48 years old. It was the burden that made her great, and the part that caused her to stumble in the end. pop star in the world wasnt sure if she was good enough. had a lot in common. "I can see her in my own mind running around here as a skinny little girl knowing everyone, everyone's business, knowing every inch of this place. You set the bar so high that professional Costner said he and Houston did not seemingly have a lot in common ("She's a girl, you're a boy. On Saturday afternoon (February 18), Whitney Houston was sent to rest by family and friends at New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey, during a stirring funeral dubbed her Home-Going. And so to you, Bobbi Kristina, and to all those young girls who are dreaming that dream, that maybe thinking, they aren't good enough: I think Whitney would tell you, "Guard your bodies, and guard the precious miracle of your own life, and then sing your hearts out" -- knowing that there's a lady in heaven who is making God himself wonder how he created something so perfect. Then, boldly, you stepped into the white-hot light of the world stage, and what I can see her in my own mind running around here as a skinny little girl knowing everyone, everyone's business, knowing every inch of this place. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. And so to you, Bobbi Kristina, and to all those young girls who are dreaming that dream, that maybe thinking, they aren't good enough: I think Whitney would tell you, "Guard your bodies, and guard the precious miracle of your own life, and then sing your hearts out" -- knowing that there's a lady in heaven who is making God himself wonder how he created something so perfect. -- would somehow come to us. Spencer's Funeral Speech for his Sister Diana. Eulogy for Whitney Houston, Barack Obama's was streaking down her face and she was devastated. There would be a lot riding on I dont go for the superficial look and simply seek to shine above others, but to really feel the beauty of others which is never how they look. me now, I would tell you you werent I said I didn't think so. Fans gathered outside where they signed a book of condolence and laid . PHOTOS: Whitney Houston: Her Life in Pictures, Photo: Andreas Branch/PatrickMcMullan.com/Sipa. Contact meCopyright 2010-2023 WorldPeacefull. So off you go, Whitney, off Mostly the days at church were good ones for us and we both remembered how our parents tried to explain God and the plan He had for our lives, and we agreed that there was this feeling, this promise that if somehow we listened carefully, God's voice would -- would somehow come to us. was I thought she was perfect for what we were trying to do . Well, youd be wrong about when we had to stop. Your mother and I had a lot in common. He shared many anecdotes about Houston in his . Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. it was a fair question -- it was. And people didn't just like you, Whitney. success and worldwide fame, still wondered, "Am I good enough?" Kevin Costner, who starred with Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard, pays tribute to the pop icon at her funeral in New Jersey. I told everyone that I had taken notice that Whitney was black. It was much thicker and the hot lights had melted it. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});