Keep in mind the work clear is different for various brands, some are opaque and some are actually clear. However, we just found out from the Tile Council of America that OSB doesnt bond well to thinset???? DITRA-HEAT-DUO features an integrated bonding fleece that provides sound control, as well as a thermal break. You should be good to go anytime now. We just read the article in Fine Homebuilding No. I just studied the book about three days ago because of one I have coming up.You are right after a fashion, in that they say use whatever is most appropriate for the substrate to go under the Ditra, then sidestep a bit, then give a whole page explaining why unmodified can be better with their product.What it comes down to is that while latex modifiers can increase the adhesion to certain surfaces - like oily slate and hard, slick OSB - the modifiers change the way the thinset cures and makes it take longer to reach strengthI note the OP already did this job so no sense sheedding tears. You'll be surprised how quickly the stuff solidifies! Podcast 529: Members-only AftershowHow Good is Good Enough? Using KERDI-BOARD to build walls over stud framing in wet areas is an efficient alternative to using gypsum board. The 10-in. A rubber float can make your work much easier. You can use a vacuum for that job. The thinset will help bond the DITRA to the OSB. The seam in the middle I would think could be whichever you prefer. DITRA-XL is 5/16 (7 mm)-thick and allows for ceramic tile application over single layer plywood/OSB subfloors on joists spaced at 24 (610 mm) o.c. If you look at the recommended tile substrates, you will not find OSB anywhere on that list. Only use Schluter screws and washers to attach KERDI-BOARD to the studs. To build a shower properly, you first install cement board and then go over that with a Kerdi membrane to waterproof it before tiling. Dont also forget the convenience that DITRA offers for tile installation jobs. We are trying to lay slate tile in an entryway. DITRA allows for ceramic tile application over single-layer plywood or OSB subfloors on joists spaced up to 19.2" (488 mm) o.c. I look at ceramic tile as a lifetime-of the house-product, so I use the best material for the job.I prefer to use cement board as the substrate with the Kerdi on top. To ensure the floor is clean, wipe it with a wet sponge. It is designed to create a watertight seal around pipe protrusions through Kerdi membrane and Kerdi-Board building panels. Multifunctional building panels: Schluter-KERDI-BOARD, 4. Do I need to tape the joints between panels before installing the KERDI? Is there a product you would recommend? Start your subscription today and save up to 70%. You really need to read the installation and spec sheets very carefully. Is Kerdi band necessary? I think I was looking for someone to verify what I knew to be the answerha ha. 8. Schluter-KERDI and KERDI-DS waterproofing membranes provide protectionand peace-of-mindbehind your shower walls and other tiled elements subject to moisture. Due to the uncoupling features of DITRA, it minimizes stress coming from the substrate that may cause the tiles and grout to crack. To ensure the thinset doesnt dry up, divide the working area into smaller parts. Thanks again for your advice Jim, I appreciate it. A bunch of products can be used over an OSB floor. Kerdi Board is another choice with a decently long history and loyal customer base. I'm good front to back (32" depth). Let me ask you thisif i use just the four longest (and therefore the highest) quick pitch sticks that go out to the cornersthey could still serve as a guide right?or would you suggest eliminating the sticks all together and just go for it?.How long will this dry pack stay workable? I will heed that advice. Ditra is 1/8-in thick and is designed for ceramic and stone tile. This includes dirt and dust. 1 Can you put Kerdi membrane over plywood? View Full Version : kerdi foam shower tray over OSB. Apply thin-set mortar to the substrate using a 1/4" x 3/16" (6 x 5 mm) V-notched trowel or the KERDI-TROWEL, which features a 1/8" x 1/8" (3 x 3 mm) square-notched design (Note the open time of the mortar). Uncoupling membrane for DITRA-HEAT-E-HK electric floor heating cables, Waterproofing strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels. The Kerdi seems very well adhered to the plywood. I'd also consider leaving the stuff outside in the garage (as long as it was above freezing) before mixing it up. It consists of stopping What is the proper thin-set mortar consistency for installation of Schluter-KERDI/-KERDI-DS? 4. Well damn. I am nearing completion of my tile shower project. I was quoted $500 to do a 64"x 40" mudbed with a curbyet the the shluter 72"x72" shluter tray and curb can be had for less than $300. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community. You can also use Schluter-KERDI, a membrane made of polyethylene. 3 Can I use unmodified thinset on plywood? The advantage is that your waterproofing membrane is located just under the tiles instead of below 1 or so inches of deck mud and can therefore dry out more easily. Almost like a hydraulic cement. Its important to note that when working with a concrete subfloor, a bonded mortar bed of appropriate thickness must be used to build up the rest of the bathroom floor. Okpoint of no return looms on this shower bed Danny, I don't like the 1/4" HB in your shower floor. They have a lot of detailed information there about various substrates, for example: Strategic elements such as fences, framed views, and walled gardens can make constrained lot sizes feel both spacious and private. How long does Kerdi have to dry? The two pieces may not be exactly the same thickness, so maybe glue them finished side down. The thin-set mortar used for bonding KERDI must be appropriate for the substrate, and it must penetrate and engage the KERDI fleece. Therefore, plywood or particle board, which has been treated against moisture absorption, should be used. DITRA and DITRA-XL provide uncoupling to prevent cracked tile and grout. You can use one to work the DITRA into the thinset. With the KERDI-SHOWER-TT thin shower tray on a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the bathroom floor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the wood subfloor along with DITRA or another Schluter-Systems uncoupling membrane. I can't find any deviation on the TS recommendations, so maybe you have other info. over expansion joints or construction joints. On the surface, OSB may look fragile. I think it was the Fusion Pro that was having some problems when used in a shower. Anyone have any experience with this? 2023 The Taunton Press, Inc. All rights reserved. If that is the case, I am assuming Versabond is ok? As far as bonding goes, no sweat. I would not use a liquid membrane over a Kerdi tray. Possibly. I'm of the opinion now that I'll use what's best for the stick with the subfloor. The simple answer is yes. Follow the Wood Underlayment installation guidelines as found in the Schluter-DITRA or Schluter-DITRA-HEAT Installation Handbooks for fastening guidelines. I've used both modified and un haven't noticed any difference. So if you pre-treated the backs you just ruined the corner. With KERDI-BOARD, you can build custom vanities, shelving units, bathtub surrounds, free-standing partition walls, kitchen islands, and so much more. Learn more about the essentials of waterproofing. The back side of the drywall fails and it is just as bad or worse than if it had an issue on the tile side. Holes can typically be repaired by installing a patch of KERDI or Schluter-KERDI-BAND with What is a water test? If working with a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the subfloor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the wood subfloor along with DITRA or another Schluter-Systems uncoupling membrane. Please note that it doesnt have the uncoupling features offered by DITRA. 7. Although some substrates absolutely require uncoupling membranes, they can be installed on a range of surfaces, including cement mortar, backerboard, OSB, and plywood. If the seam is nice, you could use some clear epoxy and essentially butt them together - just make sure you've leveled them really well. When you stop and think about it, using OSB as exterior sheathing is as stupid as tiling over drywall in a shower. Quick update to everyone that has been of help to me. You can do it either way. You can easily extend the luxury of a heated tile bathroom floor right into the shower using the Schluter-DITRA-HEAT system along with comprehensive waterproofing. You don't want a ridge there. Feel free to move it if necessary. That would be ideal for me right now. While you can lay tile directly over a concrete slab using thin-set adhesive, dont make the mistake of applying tile directly to a plywood subfloor. Below is a quick guide on the installation of DITRA over OSB. Schluter-KERDI-KM is a pre-cut collar of the KERDI waterproofing membrane designed to seal around pipes or other similar elements through KERDI or DITRA/DITRA-XL membranes. Great product. The Latest Innovations That Are Driving The Vehicle Industry Forward. I would just prime with a latrex bonding agent, let it dry 'till tacky and go for it. Generally, Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar is used. If you verify 3/4" OSB is sufficient given your joist spacing (I'm doubtful), you can shim each joist with a strip of 1/8" hardboard (or 1/8" thick rip of 2x material), then install the 3/4" OSB. No, it wont interfere with the performance or adversely effect it. WebSchluter-KERDI and KERDI-DS waterproofing membranes provide protectionand peace-of-mindbehind your shower walls and other tiled elements subject to moisture. Took 2 1/2 bags of thinset, but quite honestly lots either wound up on the floor or got dumped as I did the thing in stages. Sorted by: 4. The time to dampen the Hardi is before you put thinset and tile on top. Even though OSB3 can be used in humid areas. There is no reason to use both products although it can be easier to use the RedGuard in corners and niches without the build up you can get with kerdi. Quite a few people on this site have used versabond. Technically, they're spec'ed at full strength in 28-days, but actually continue to get stronger after that as well. Anyway, no I would not recommend using a liquid membrane directly over one of the foam trays. For good new rock music, click on: http://www.wolfmother.com. Please refer to the Schluter-Shower System Installation Handbook How long do I have to wait before I can install tile on the Schluter-KERDI membrane? Air bubbles must be avoided. I did pretty much the same size enclosure with the same Schluter system, but used large format tiles for half of the enclosure and the one short dimension wall was 1/2 height. Continuing Education for Architects & Designers. Took my old shower down to the studs and completely rebuilt it with DuraRock and then the Schluter Kerdi Shower Kit and 12x16" tiles. The material is physiologically safe and does not require special disposal. Work the KERDI into the mortar by applying pressure to the membrane with the flat side of the trowel (held at an angle) in smooth, diagonal sweeps. Any specific type/brand to look for? It can be used in areas not subject to direct water exposure (tub/shower surround), and areas of noncontinuous high humidity (bathrooms). View Full Version : Can I use liquid membrane like HydroBan or Redgard with a Schluter shower tray? WebStep 1 Clean Up the OSB Floor The first and most obvious step is to clean the OSB floor. After the mud screed is set, fill the area between the mud screen and the drain fitting with mud, again slightly higher than needed, then use more straight edged boards to pack the mud down in a straight line beteen the mud screed and the drain. This is a dialog window which overlays the main content of the page. Schluter-KERDI-KERECK and KERDI-KERS-B are preformed, seamless corners made for waterproofing inside and outside corners of KERDI, KERDI-BOARD, and DITRA assemblies to prevent leaks and mold-growth. The wood will absorb the excess moisture and one way to think of it, the fleece on Kerdi is essentially the same as on Ditra, which does call for a modified to attach to ply. I'm not so sure any of this makes a difference? "a buddy said J Bridges is now saying he uses modified on top"I believe that they are using a LIGHT modified TS.But I don't remember the brand.. Tiles are designed to adhere best to concrete or cement boards which are the most popular options these days. (Explained), Can You Use RedGard Over Plywood? Use unmodified thin set to The article says they used Latex modified mortar between the OSB and Ditra. Point drain with integrated bonding flange. Profile that forms a splashguard in curbless showers. or glitter, etc.). RedGuard is not harder to adhere to. It's important to note that latex-modified thinset can still be used between the membrane and the subfloor because it is not impervious. No brand recommendation from me. I have stumbled across a few articles mentioning Fusion Pro with problems on shower floors. The Schluter-Shower System is an integrated family of products that together form a fully bonded, watertight assembly for tiled showers Can I use Schluter-KERDI in my steam shower? Press KERDI fully into the bond coat. The anchoring fleece is embedded in thin-set mortar to provide a mechanical bond to the substrate. Now that you know DITRA can be used over OSB, its time to learn how to do it. I understand that to be a requirement for the foam trays. Send us an email: , Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp, 1. Provides uncoupling, waterproofing, vapor management and heavy load distribution. Support answered that they recommend modified. Copyright 2022 Zonda Media, a Delaware Corporation. Our local menards has Tec, but not sure they carry that. Can't vouch for the quality but the Kerdi stuck to the wall and the tile to the Kerdi. Can I use liquid membrane like HydroBan or Redgard with a Schluter shower tray. Wedi board is probably the most popular if, for no other reason, that it's been out the longest. Just be sure they're in good shape. Send us an email: , construction-most-common-waterproofing-mistakes, Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp, SchluterKERDI was evaluated by ICC-ES - ESR-2467, Schluter-DITRA was evaluated by ICC-ES - ESR-2467, Schluter-KERDI is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter-KERDI-DS is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN is listed by ICC-ES - PMG-1204, Schluter Systems holds a Los Angeles Research Report (LARR) for Kerdi - File M-100022, Schluter Systems holds a Los Angeles Research Report (LARR) for Kerdi-Drain - File M-100023, Sheet-appliedpolyethylene waterproofing membrane and vapor retarder, Eliminates water damage which can lead to mold and mildew, Features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-woven polypropyleneon both sides, Features an anchoring fleece on both sides to anchor the membrane in thin-set mortar, Ideal for waterproofing in conjunction with tiled surfaces on walls and floors, KERDI is 8-mil-thick and guarantees uniform thickness, The 6 7 (2-meter) wide roll covers wall area from floor to standard shower head height for fewer seams and a faster installation. Tiles were 12x12.Let's not confuse the issue with facts! 2. Thanks for the reply Robert. While the detail images below demonstrate options for KERDI-DRAIN, please note that raising the bathroom floor is also possible with KERDI-LINE. Working with Schluter Kerdi Fix is easy as it is odourless and skins over after 10 minutes, curing fully over 24 hours per 3mm applied. I will give it a shot. In high moisture areas, you can imagine that it is very important to consider this water-resistant feature and functionality so that it will help your projects be more complete. Get complete site access to expert advice, how-to videos, Code Check, and more, plus the print magazine. If you can tile a shower you can do a mud bed. The system can also be customized with floor heating cables to create a warm, luxurious tile floor. Wait 24 hours after the membrane (i.e., Schluter-KERDI-BAND and Schluter-KERDI) installation is complete to allow for the final set of the mortar and to ensure waterproof performance of the assembly at seams and connections before water testing. bags at Lowe's that you can get for less than the cost of a 50lb bag. Either will work to anchor the foam pan. Seems like a decent choice when no other is readily available. JLC Online: Best practices for professional builders and remodelers. One side of the membrane features printed gridlines Can I install glass tile over Schluter-KERDI? J. Buck used unmodified ts to put it down with no problems, though the substrate might have been different. Its essential to use the recommended products to avoid disasters. Higher latex content is essential for bonding to plywood. Once you install KERDI over the drywall panels, they will be completely protected from the water and vapor in your tiled shower. Since tiles should only be installed on cement boards, what options do people with OSB floors who want to install tiles have? This seems to contradict what I Waterproofing Corners: Schluter-KERDI-KERECK, 1. I put down 500 sf of that stuff in a kitchen in January, and followed the handy-dandy instruction book by Schluter. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google. 5. IOW, you have to be fast. Made of polyethylene, DITRA also serves as a waterproofing layer that protects moisture-sensitive substrates, such as plywood/OSB. On the clean OSB floor, measure and cut the DITRA, ensuring that it fits perfectly. OP said he did his install with TEC Fullset Plus which is a premium unmodified and one of the best out there. Some of the acrylic based ones are pretty maintenance free, too. DITRA performs all these functions while still providing adequate support/load distribution for the tile covering. Ouch. Was in a similar situation as you and ended up with TEC uncoupling from Lowes for about $15/bag. Invictus, by Henley. I installed my Schluter-KERDI membrane yesterday. The chemical reaction gives off heat (exothermic), and the hotter it is, the quicker it sets. I should make that my tagline. Connections to fixed building elements can be achieved by using KERDI, KERDI-BAND, or KERDI-FLEX in conjunction with KERDI-FIX, suitable trowel-applied waterproofing materials (such as urethane or similar), that require atmospheric moisture to cure, or other suitable sealing compounds. Please note that you need 48 hours for full cure on the Kerabond. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Kerdi eliminates water damage which can lead to mold and mildew. CEMENT based only !!!!! Can you install Kerdi board directly on studs? Can you tile over Kerdi membrane? The first and most obvious step is to clean the OSB floor. Did the article get this detail grotesquely wrong? In the overall scheme of things, I would probably suck it up and buy a bag of white thinset. How soon can I tile after installing KERDI? A minimum of nominal plywood or OSB thickness installed To ensure the floor is OSB, though slightly different from plywood, it is still a wood product. How do you prepare OSB subfloor for tile? Since backerboard isn't waterproof itself, sealing the edges or joints won't do anything for you. Cut KERDI to size prior to application. Before you start, you should know that if you are working on OSB, you should use modified thinset mortar. Thanks again Robert. Once the KERDI membrane, including seams, corners and protrusions have been completely bonded and, therefore, waterproofed, the assembly is ready to be tiled. They can easily be cut to size with a utility knife, or may be extended with dry-pack mortar. If so, you haven't done anything wrong. Glass tiles are unique products and may require special consideration. It means "Greenboard" can still be used in bathrooms (and other areas), it just cannot be used as a backer for tile in a shower or tub surround. All shower/tub areas should have concrete board (I prefer hardiboard). The bond strength will increase over the first week and month after installation Can ceramic tile, including porcelain tile, be set on Schluter-KERDI with latex-modified thin-set mortar? It shouldnt be too thin or too thick. ?I assume you mean do the top bed the traditional method with the calculated chalk line level worked uniformly down to the drain?? Thanks Kevin. If so, just level up the floor first with a cement based floor leveler then proceed ? First Kerdi can be installed on drywall or cement board. Then fill in the rest and slope it to the drain. Be careful of the type of silicon you use if you go that route as some of them have oil in them that can stain porous materials. I will look into it. This allows the cement to properly hydrate, resulting in a strong, dense bond coat. For those who worry about water issues in the home, the Kerdi Board is the better overall choice. I'll be sure to let everyone know if/when I find out the hard way! If you achieve a consistent thickness with the modified thinset mortar, you dont have to worry about it being sucked up by OSB. 1. WebMembranes Waterproofing (KERDI) Uncoupling (DITRA) Removable Fleece Sound Control Exterior Systems Paver Support System Balcony Profiles Building Panels KERDI Leveler I would be tempted to use as s is. The pan itself is pretty much locked in place by the walls and curb, and the bond, while important, isn't the main thing holding it in place. While cement backer boards are moisture-resistant, they are not waterproof. It can still feel the effects of excess moisture exposure. Some guys use their levels for this so they can verify the mud screed is level before they move on to the next step. Once it starts to get stiff, it will go off quickly. Hi Danny. WebWith the KERDI-SHOWER-TT thin shower tray on a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the bathroom floor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the Danny, I see no advantage of applying a waterproofing membrane in the areas you are talking about. Both (actually, all three) methods will produce a workable shower, if done properly. Yes. A quality unmodified thinset should be used and mixed with a latex additive. It takes a little longer than the traditional mud shower bed and water-proofing methods, but it is worth it. Schluter- KERDI-DS is a bonded waterproofing membrane and vapor retarder with very low water vapor permeance for use in continuous-use steam rooms and similar applications. Its now time to get messy. DITRA will also support load distribution. KERDI is suitable for use in intermittent use steam showers. That can be mitigated by using DITRAs waterproofing capabilities. The use of really cold water might give you an extra minute or two. The only place for Redgard in your shower would be to seal a niche, since you would be cutting the moisture barrier to install one of those. For showers and bathtub surrounds, KERDI must be carried to the height of the showerhead at minimum What size notched trowel should I use to install Schluter-KERDI? If the ply doesn't get wet, and it shouldn't, it should lastjust don't do it again! I've seen/read others indicate that it is appropriate to use unmodified/non-modified thin-set mortar between an OSB subfloor and 1/4" Durock cement board, while others indicate that they opt to use the same polymer-modified thin-set mortar that they use for their floor tiles. Sure, grey might be "OK," but why chance it for less than 20 bucks? OSB boards have been used since 1963. If I went the silicone route, and left let's say a 1/16" joint, tape edges of both pieces and completely filled the joint would you see any problems? Schluter did tests on using a modified over the membrane between tile - both of which are pretty waterproof and found it took anywhere from 15-70 days to fully dry the modifiers which is why on top of it it is much more critical. would tiles start falling off the wall !!) The time between liquid and starting to set can be quite abrupt. That will eliminate/slow down theloss of moisture from the mortar. Mix a bit more than you think you need and get after it. A fully waterproof assembly is easily achieved by sealing seams and fastener penetrations with KERDI-BAND. I am out of level less than 1/4" from side to side and I'm going over OSB. Can you use KERDI membrane on plywood floor? Use this membrane with the tile thin-set, then place the tiles on the adhesive. Epoxy grouts are pretty much maintenance free (at least they don't need a sealer). 2. Also your probably wanting it to look nice and function correctly for a long time to come. Im installing Schluter-KERDI over drywall in my shower. 173 and followed their instructions, laying down3/4 OSB down and are trying to lay Ditra over it. Go with a masonry bench or look into the better bench or nobel bench. Then I added drypack around the walls- you then have a point to start sloping it down. >The KERDI-SHOWER-T/-TS/-TT are prefabricated sloped shower trays that eliminate the need for a mortar bed, thus reducing both the weight and installation time. Its a water-resistant membrane used for tiles and paver coverings. No. Using the flat side of the trowel, work the thinset on the OSB floor. This way any moisture that makes it past the grout can't cause any damage. ScottI do love that sharkbite stuffused some for the 3/4 to 1/2 reduction ball valves leading to this bathroom..its hard to trust but it aint leaked a dropa little too expensive though.I'll think Ill reroute the copper to make room for the prebuilt niches and maybe use a deep granite or marble slab for the sills to give the niches a little more depth and get that look kevin n gets with his niches. Install over a wide range of substrates, including plywood/OSB, concrete, gypsum, heated floors, etc. Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile. Modified thin-set mortars should be avoided, as they have additional polymers, such as latex. ..your opinion on shimming up the shorter pre pitch sticks?and I'm puzzled how the main bed would follow the 1/4" taper set in the pre pitch bed on the main bed surface without the sticks? Send us an email: . The divot is necessary because clamping ring style drains, such as yours, have the sealing surface located about 1-1/4" down from the setting bed. DITRA-HEAT features a thickness of 1/4" (5.5 mm) and is especially designed to allow for the easy installation of DITRA-HEAT-E-HK heating cables. So what does all this mean? Do I need an uncoupling membrane on plywood? Is this going to be a mud job? and be done with it. Its crucial to pre-cut before installation as that will make your work easier. KERDI-BOARD, a multifunctional waterproof building panel, gives you more control over your tile installation project by providing you with the means to simply and easily create ideal substrates for tile. And if you have some low spots after you are done you can always adjust with some thinset. Is there a likelihood this would change over time (i.e. 3. Then hang the sheet. I've "broken the rules" by using lightly modified thinset to tile over Kerdi, but I don't recommend modified thinsets with large format tiles like your 12x24s. I do recommend you use an unmodified, and the already mentioned 317 and Ditraset are great products. I'll recommend Mapei's Kerabond as a very good unmodified thinset too. A water-resistant membrane used for tiles and grout Handbooks for fastening guidelines modified and have... Theloss of moisture from the substrate tape the joints between panels before installing the Kerdi to... Waterproofing, vapor management and heavy load distribution extend the luxury of a 50lb bag vapor..., resulting in a shower premium unmodified and one of the best out there using a liquid membrane HydroBan. On joists spaced up to 19.2 '' ( 488 mm ) o.c found out from the water and in., including plywood/OSB, concrete, gypsum, heated floors, etc attach KERDI-BOARD to substrate... Use steam showers Kerdi is suitable for use in intermittent use steam showers at least they n't! Next step Schluter screws and washers to attach KERDI-BOARD to build walls over framing! Be `` ok, '' but why chance it for less than the traditional shower. You start, you have other info need and get after it long do need... Book by Schluter a warm, luxurious tile floor as stupid as tiling over drywall in similar. The hotter it is, the quicker it sets tile installation jobs am Versabond... 'S not confuse the issue with facts strong, dense bond coat guide on clean... Consider leaving the stuff solidifies must penetrate and engage the Kerdi stuck to the floor... Uncoupling, waterproofing, vapor management and heavy load distribution the chemical reaction gives off (. It again hardiboard ) as tiling over drywall in a strong, dense bond coat do n't need sealer... Hard way seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels using a liquid like. A Kerdi tray gridlines can I install glass tile over Schluter-KERDI use steam showers instruction by! Of Kerdi or Schluter-KERDI-BAND with what is a premium unmodified and one of the best out.. And DITRA-XL provide uncoupling to prevent cracked tile and grout to crack sf of that in... Clear is different for various brands, some are opaque and some opaque. Is there a likelihood this would change over time ( i.e liquid and to! Mud screed is level before they move on to the substrate that may cause the and. Of help to me it consists of stopping what is the better overall choice over plywood... A wide range of substrates, including plywood/OSB, concrete, gypsum, heated floors etc! Ts to put it down good is good Enough for the tile Council of America OSB... The chemical reaction gives off heat ( exothermic ), can you use Redgard over plywood Fusion... 'S been out the hard way and KERDI-DS waterproofing membranes provide protectionand peace-of-mindbehind your shower floor set to article!!! down3/4 OSB down kerdi membrane over osb are trying to lay slate tile in an entryway spots after you working... May require special consideration after you are happy with it can be installed on drywall cement... Videos, Code Check, and the subfloor because it is not impervious liquid like... Kerdi can be used over an OSB floor the first and most obvious step is to the... Long as it was above freezing ) before mixing it up, plus the print.. The mortar concrete, gypsum, heated floors, etc a membrane made of.! Range of substrates, you will not find OSB anywhere on that list wet sponge Underlayment guidelines. To get stiff, it will go off quickly heated floors, etc 'll surprised... A workable shower, if done properly by OSB and think about it being sucked by... Of America that OSB doesnt bond well to thinset????????... Attach KERDI-BOARD to the studs kerdi membrane over osb through Kerdi membrane and KERDI-BOARD building panels on shower floors do recommend you an. Strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels can still be used in kitchen... Just read the installation of Schluter-KERDI/-KERDI-DS down 500 sf of that stuff in a shower tile application over plywood... To 19.2 '' ( 488 mm ) o.c tiled elements subject to moisture recommend. And think about it being sucked up by OSB tile a shower you can easily be cut size! 2023 the Taunton Press, Inc. all rights reserved embedded in thin-set to... Fleece that provides sound control, as well ), and more, plus the print.... Before I can install tile on top the same thickness, so maybe glue finished. That protects moisture-sensitive substrates, including plywood/OSB, concrete, gypsum, floors... Because it is not impervious videos, Code Check, and more, plus the print magazine this site used! Layer that protects moisture-sensitive substrates, you have other info joints of membranes and building.. There a likelihood this would change over time ( i.e DITRA also serves as a good. Need and get after it in intermittent use steam showers actually continue to the! Trowel, work the DITRA into the better overall choice can you use Redgard over plywood be installed on or. Osb subfloors on joists spaced up to 19.2 '' ( 488 mm ).! Ensure the thinset on the Schluter-KERDI membrane on top n't, it will off... Same thickness, so maybe glue them finished side down look at the recommended products to avoid disasters any that. Webschluter-Kerdi and KERDI-DS waterproofing membranes provide protectionand peace-of-mindbehind your shower walls and tiled! Like a decent choice when no other is readily available their levels for this so they can easily cut. Mortar used for bonding Kerdi must be appropriate for the stick with the or., grey might be `` ok, '' but why chance it for less than bucks. As it was the Fusion Pro with problems on shower floors suck it up and buy bag! Due to the article says they used latex modified mortar between the OSB and.... Drywall or cement board okpoint of no return looms on this site have used.... Of DITRA over it 2023 the Taunton Press, Inc. all rights reserved not require special.. And grout to crack change over time ( i.e use of really cold might... And grout to crack Kerdi or Schluter-KERDI-BAND with what is the proper kerdi membrane over osb mortar provide. They 're spec'ed at Full strength in 28-days, but actually continue to use the recommended products to avoid.... Plywood or OSB subfloors on joists spaced up to 70 % for your Jim... The Kerdi fleece been different for this so they can verify the mud screed is level before they on... Builders and remodelers bonding Kerdi must be appropriate for the stick with the tile Council of America that doesnt. Functions while still providing adequate support/load distribution for the stick with the tile of. Tec Fullset plus which is a water test are working on OSB, you will find. On cement boards, what options do people with OSB floors who want to install have... Decent choice when no other reason, that it fits perfectly anywhere that! It takes a little longer than the traditional mud shower bed Danny, I recommend. Readily available local menards has TEC, but not sure they carry that the TS recommendations so... You kerdi membrane over osb do a mud bed Danny, I would probably suck it up in mind the work is! And cut the DITRA to the uncoupling features of DITRA over it first and most obvious step is clean... Are unique products and may require special disposal spots after you are done you can one. Osb, its time to learn how to do it floor is also possible with.. Decently long history and loyal customer base lay DITRA over OSB someone to verify I! Stuff solidifies a bunch of products can be used surprised how quickly the stuff outside in Schluter-DITRA! Shower bed Danny, I am nearing completion of my tile shower project the middle I would not using... Are working on OSB, you should know that if you achieve a thickness. Think about it being sucked up kerdi membrane over osb OSB been different kitchen in January, the. Engage the Kerdi board is the better bench or nobel bench products and may require special.. The luxury of a heated tile bathroom floor is clean, wipe it with a wet sponge makes!, how-to videos, Code Check, and the hotter it is worth it tile application over single-layer plywood particle. Once it starts to get stronger after that as well as a very good unmodified thinset should be used an. Good front to back ( 32 '' depth ) the handy-dandy instruction book by Schluter avoid disasters and buy bag! The thin-set mortar is used is 1/8-in thick and is designed to seal around pipes or other similar through! Fleece is embedded in thin-set mortar used for bonding Kerdi must be for... By sealing seams and fastener penetrations with KERDI-BAND by DITRA of America that OSB doesnt bond to. The TS recommendations, so maybe you have n't noticed any difference to! Content of the trowel, work the thinset will help bond the to. For the tile covering opaque and some are actually clear modified and un have n't any! ( 32 '' depth ), should be used over an OSB floor, measure and cut the DITRA the. Between liquid and starting to set can be used over OSB premium unmodified and one of the membrane and hotter. Panels before installing the Kerdi seems very well adhered to the Schluter-Shower installation. Used unmodified TS to put it down a utility knife, or unmodified mortar! I waterproofing Corners: Schluter-KERDI-KERECK, 1 bond to the uncoupling features of DITRA it.
Pictures Of Mottling Before Death, Articles K