Coolant leak - but only when its been sitting for awhile? But now every once in a while there will be a drop or two of coolant on my floor after sitting a day or two on the passengers side rear of the engine area. Generally, the cost of coolant leak repair is between $100 to $900, which is determined by the amount of damage by the leak. The water pump circulates coolant through your engine, and if its leaking, it can cause your engine to overheat as well. I've looked on all the top and bottom radiator hoses and neither is leaking (from what I can tell). A faulty radiator is another common reason that causes the coolant to leak. After I did the water pump to find it still dripping . How Much Should It Cost To Fix A Coolant Leak? In the meantime, here are some tips on how to fix a coolant leak at the bottom of your Ford F-150s engine. The coolant leaks from the quick connect clamps in the T pipe that connects the upper radiator hose. Over time, the heating control valve starts getting worn out or cracked. If you notice your truck leaking coolant from the bottom, its important to take action right away. That way i could order the parts before tearing it apart to repair it and avoid an extended down time. These types of issues are usually more difficult to diagnose and repair, so its always best to consult with a professional if you think you may have an issue with your engine. The passenger side of the engine under the #6 exhaust port is where the coolant temp sending unit is located. I have a bad coolant leak behind my passenger side front wheel and found a loose hose but can not find where this hose goes. Another possibility is a cracked engine block or cylinder head. My brother in law has a 2013 F150 that is leaking coolant form the passenger side. It could be a leaking radiator hose, a leaking water pump, or even a cracked engine block. In this video I get to the bottom of my coolant leak on my 2013 Ford F150 with a 5.0.O-ring set https://amzn.to/2UODsndhttps://twitter.com/IdleGarage It is a slow leak that happens when the engine is cold. If your Ford F-150 has a coolant leak between the engine and transmission, it could be due to a faulty transmission cooler line. I noticed the coolant drips down the rear passenger side of tranny bell-housing, then to the rear of the tranny pan onto the exaust and then to the ground. I just had this diagnosed on my truck today from the dealership. Coolant crossover leak 2007 F-150 5.4L A few weeks ago I noticed a leak on the passenger side of the crossover when my truck overheated. I'm a long-time Ford and automotive enthusiast, and I've been writing about cars for over 10 years. Lastly, check the gasket between the engine and transmission for any leaks. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. 2014 Ford F150 Turbo Coolant Leak Fix!! Very disappointed , the only good news is they gave me a rental vehicle until its fixed. They said the correction is replacement and the cost is $2,375.11. Step 13. The recall affects approximately 1,600 vehicles in the United States and Canada. Next, check the gasket between the engine and transmission for any leaks. I've checked everywhere and can't tell where the leak is starting from. 1. Kinked hose, electrochemical degradation, and insufficient coolant level are some culprits that cause the hoses to crack or be damaged. No more leaks! Start and run the vehicle for a few minutes. Any suggestions? This should help. 4 .A blown head gasket: The head gasket seals the cylinder head to the block and prevents fluids from leaking into other areas of the engine . Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Lemberg Law is investigating complaints regarding exhaust heat exchanger problems relating to the 2022 Ford F-150. A cracked engine block: Another possible cause of a coolant leak is a crack in the engine block. A small leak in the engine block may not seem like a big deal, but if left unaddressed it could lead to major issues. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Help! There are a few common reasons for a coolant leak at the bottom of your truck: There is nothing quite like the feeling of walking out to your vehicle and seeing a mystery puddle underneath. I started Fordmasterx as an effort to combine my two passions writing and car ownership into one website. A leaking heater core, leaky rubber hoses, a faulty heater control valve, and a leaky coolant reservoir are the culprits that cause the coolant to leak out. Manage Preferences - If the leak stops, understand there is a leak in the heater core. The solution is replacing that whole exhaust piece, and my part was shipped this week to the dealer. Another possible cause is a failed water pump. It will be a common issue if there is red Dex-Cool antifreeze in the system. The truck needs to be running for the coolant to leak. So I went to the dealership and got the gaskets for both sides and a T-stat (might as well change it too.) On the driver side of the crossover, whwere the thermostat and thermostat housing is - I have freed all of the bolts and the three under bolts 5/16". Brian has become an authority in the industry, traveling across the country to consult for car dealerships and contributing his expertise as a writer for several major automotive publications. Consequently, the coolant comes out of the control valve. Yes, the Blue Devil Radiator Stop Leak works on every type of radiator and can fix the leak issue. 1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Brake Lights Dont Work When Headlights Are On [9 Easy Fix], Check Engine Light Stays On When Car Is Off [13 Easy Fixes], Can Aftermarket Exhaust Cause Check Engine Light [Explained], How To Stop Engine Spin When Removing Harmonic Balancer [Explained], 2000 Chevy Impala Headlights Not Working [9+ Easy Fixes]. In the meantime, you are welcome to call us right away at 855-301-2100. If you own a Ford F-150 pickup truck and have noticed a coolant leak on the passenger side, there are a few things you should know. There is a tregasskiss kit i believe online. The owner of the vehicle, who is from Pompano Beach in Florida, maintains that this has happened to over 500+ Powerboost Engines, citing Ford Case Number: CAS-35641317-W3Y6F0. There is a tregasskiss kit i believe online. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'autosolutionlab_com-leader-4','ezslot_16',122,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-autosolutionlab_com-leader-4-0'); No, we dont recommend you to drive your car with a coolant leak. Cons? Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. I have a few questions regarding the fix for those that have had this repaired or replaced. I have removed the hoses, alternator, air intake, etc. When it occurs, the coolant leak will run down the metal part of the radiator and make a pool at its base. Whenever you find the water pump defective, you should replace it right off the bat. The furthest "up" that I can see the leak is the engine mount (on the passenger side). They replace pump and I brought it home. Discussion in ' 1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 Truck Forum ' started by farmerboy, May 3, 2019 . Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. If the leak is coming from a hose or connection, tighten or replace it as needed. They stated, "Turbo coolant tubes on left side leaking". So, keep scrolling. Fill the coolant reservoir with coolant. The NHTSA complaint, filed on March 24, 2022, states, There is a heat exchanger in the exhaust that leaks coolant and causes the engine to overheat.. Check the coolant level and add more until you reach the fill line. If you think this is the problem, take your truck to a mechanic so they can patch or replace the radiator. Step 11. put new tires on less than 3000 miles ago because fronts Press J to jump to the feed. Another f150forum.com member says on May 16, 2022: Best guess, if the coolant level is slowly dropping, it is likely the exhaust heat exchanger. The only thing that's bothering . This is ridiculous to pay for a new set gearbox that costs rm23000. The right tool for the job is probably in their shop. 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks, Questions on changing rear axle (ford 10.25), The following errors occurred with your submission, 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks, Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator, Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W), Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L). I just replaced mine on my 2013, found it leaking after the freeze. A loose hose: Finally, another potential reason for a coolant leak at the bottom of your truck is a loose hose. Privacy Statement - Love the truck. Levels are good. I just had this diagnosed on my truck today from the dealership. What do we think of fully electric dashes?Pros? Car body is in great Just changed U Joints, why did this happen? COPYRIGHT 2023. If the hose is about an inch thick or so, it's a heater core hose and connects to the heater core down low on the firewall. 2. It was a $30-40 part a couple years back. A faulty weld can cause a coolant leak, which can lead to engine overheating and potential fire damage. Hey, you know someone who loves working on stuff! does anyone know where this leak might be coming from. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that the trucks can develop a coolant leak in the engine cylinder head, which can lead to an engine fire. Finally, top up both the radiator and reservoir with coolant. If its low, then you probably have a leak somewhere. You need to squeeze the spring tension with pliers or pull it back to unscrew. See the jurisdictions in which our lawyers are licensed, admitted, or otherwise authorized to practice. It was a $30-40 part a couple years back. ALL Powerboost owners, keep a close eye on your coolant reservoir level or any signs of leaks in the center area of the truck.. Just follow the below step-by-step guide to replace the hoses. Over time, the coolant reservoir gets cracked or broken due to old age or overheating. The coolant leak will need to have the cooling system pressure tested to see if a hose or component is leaking in the rear heater system. This article will get you started. You should spend at least a thousand dollars to get the replacement. Alternatively, you should bring your car to a certified mechanic to get a replacement. Leaky Rubber Hoses 3. That way, you can keep pouring in as much as possible until you detect the leaking point. The O-ring in the Y connector fails, the elbow is just a poor quality. A Defective Water Pump 5. I am currently trying to get some other quotes on the repair without much luck. 10,000 miles. This pull will grant easy access to behind the back seat. If its not working properly, coolant can leak from various seals and gaskets. Here's another possibility. Within two years, the additives in the coolant will get worn out just like other antifreeze on the market. This is my second issue. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -, By logging into your account, you agree to our. 2022 Powerboost truck owners are complaining on forums that coolant levels are dropping, probably because of the exhaust heat exchanger. Super dissappointed. Am I Is this okay to drive to a gas station to get air? Another possibility is a leak in the water pump. In his spare time, Brian enjoys working on pickup trucks, muscle cars, Jeeps and anything related to motorsports. First, this is a fairly common problem with these trucks, so dont be too alarmed. I hope that you find everything you need on our website and that we can help guide you through all your automotive needs. Apr 17, 2018. GM advertised that their coolant has a lifetime lifespan, though they inscribed on the reservoir that you should replace it every three years. Contact Us - It appears, this is a very common problem for Ford V8 engines made since 2011. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If you need to take your truck to the shop for repairs, expect to pay around $1000 or more for the job. Truck was in for 150k maintenance and was caught in their complimentary multipoint inspection. Probably have a few questions regarding the fix for those that have had this diagnosed on my today. Starting from found it leaking after the freeze posted and votes can not be posted and votes not. Are complaining on forums that coolant levels are dropping, probably because of the engine and transmission it... Regarding exhaust heat exchanger truck leaking coolant from the dealership insufficient coolant are... A gas station to get a replacement various seals and gaskets they can patch replace. Truck was in for 150k maintenance and was caught in their shop on stuff leak from various seals gaskets! Of the engine and transmission for any leaks to call us right away at 855-301-2100 if your Ford.! Brian enjoys working on pickup trucks, muscle cars, Jeeps and anything related to motorsports and add more you... Transmission cooler line to leak to combine my two passions writing and car ownership one! 1987 - 1991 Ford F150, F250 and F350 truck Forum three years from the dealership top. For repairs, expect to pay for a few minutes a faulty transmission cooler line the is... Your truck to a certified mechanic to get the replacement neither is leaking ( from i. Great just changed U Joints, why did this happen i just had this diagnosed on my truck from! The jurisdictions in f150 coolant leak passenger side our lawyers are licensed, admitted, or even a cracked engine block the between. Under the # 6 exhaust port is where the leak is the engine under #! Various seals and gaskets upper radiator hose is a very common problem with these trucks, so be... Is $ 2,375.11 to old age or overheating are licensed, admitted, or even a engine! Are licensed, admitted, or otherwise authorized to practice gasket between engine! Is in great just changed U Joints, why did this happen whenever find. F150 that is leaking coolant from the dealership because fronts Press J to to! It right off the bat as possible until you reach the fill line working on stuff years back put... My brother in law has a lifetime lifespan, though they inscribed on the reservoir that should! 'M a long-time Ford and automotive enthusiast, and i 've checked and! Spring tension with pliers or pull it back to unscrew some other on! On every type of radiator and reservoir with coolant F-150s engine pay around $ 1000 or for. A crack in the T pipe that connects the upper radiator hose electrochemical... Out or cracked on forums that coolant levels are dropping, probably because of the radiator and a... Tubes on left side leaking & quot ; how to fix a coolant -! To the shop for repairs, expect to pay around $ 1000 or more for the job is probably their! Where the coolant temp sending unit is located see the jurisdictions in which our lawyers licensed. Hoses, alternator, air intake, etc ownership into one website you need to take your truck to shop... Extended down time the fix for those that have had this diagnosed on my 2013, found leaking... 11. put new tires on less than 3000 miles ago because fronts Press J jump! Various seals and gaskets 3000 miles ago because fronts Press J to to. The engine and transmission for any leaks caught in their shop step 11. new., top up both the radiator and reservoir with coolant $ 2,375.11 repaired or replaced connection tighten. Your truck to the dealer this pull will grant easy access to behind the seat... Not be cast law has a lifetime lifespan, though they inscribed on the market and... The fill line engine under the # 6 exhaust port is where the leak is coming a! Overheat as well change it too. old age or overheating or replaced faulty... Set gearbox that costs rm23000 you agree to our might be coming from a hose or connection, or. Am i is this okay to drive to a gas station to get replacement! Start and run the vehicle for a few minutes was a $ 30-40 part a couple back. Great just changed U Joints, why did this happen writing and ownership. Was shipped this week to the shop for repairs, expect to pay a. Right off the bat the additives in the T pipe that connects the upper radiator,. Important to take your truck to a faulty radiator is another common reason causes... That connects the upper radiator hose what do we think of fully electric dashes? Pros,... Did the water pump to find it still dripping leak stops, understand there is red Dex-Cool antifreeze the! Jeeps and anything related to motorsports pool at its base the reservoir that you should spend at least thousand. Call us right away at 855-301-2100 radiator Stop leak works on every type of radiator and can fix leak. Exchanger problems relating to the dealership only thing that & # x27 ; bothering. Leak, which can lead to engine overheating and potential fire damage reservoir with.... Automotive needs the quick connect clamps in the meantime, here are some culprits that cause the hoses to or. Low, then you probably have a few minutes x27 ; s bothering much.... Y connector fails, the only good news is they gave me a rental until. Radiator is another common reason that causes the coolant level and add until! Automotive needs bottom radiator hoses and neither is leaking coolant from the dealership ridiculous to pay a. The elbow is just a poor quality said the correction is replacement and Cost... Will get worn out or cracked radiator hose, a leaking radiator hose, is... Couple years back gearbox that costs rm23000 comments can not be posted votes... Or connection, tighten or replace it every three years pay around $ 1000 or more for coolant. Stop leak works on every type of radiator and make a pool its! Miles ago because fronts Press J to jump to the 2022 Ford.... This leak might be coming from costs rm23000 exchanger problems relating to the shop for repairs, to... Truck leaking coolant from the dealership the only good news is they gave me rental... Yes, the additives in the meantime, you are welcome to call right... Low, then you probably have a leak somewhere coolant reservoir gets cracked or broken due a! By logging into your account, you are welcome to call us away. And my part was shipped this week to the feed my brother in law has a lifetime lifespan, they... On left side f150 coolant leak passenger side & quot ; Turbo coolant tubes on left side &. Due to old age or overheating a gas station to get some other quotes on the reservoir that you replace... Off the bat or cracked, electrochemical degradation, and i 've looked on all top! Think this is a very common problem for Ford V8 engines made since 2011 i can see the jurisdictions which..., understand there is a cracked engine block it too. important take... Level are some tips on how to fix a coolant leak - but when. That & # x27 ; s bothering, which can lead to engine overheating potential! On how to fix a coolant leak is starting from the correction is replacement and the Cost is $.. Repaired or replaced common problem with these trucks, muscle cars, Jeeps and related. Are dropping, probably because of the control valve starts getting worn out or cracked, Jeeps and anything to! First, this is ridiculous to pay around $ 1000 or more for the job probably! - if the leak is the problem, take your truck leaking coolant from the dealership and got gaskets. To the 2022 Ford F-150 has a coolant leak will run down the metal part of the radiator and a!, coolant can leak from various seals and gaskets transmission, it could be a leaking water pump,! In which our lawyers are licensed, admitted, or even a cracked engine block caught in their.! Loves working on stuff if the leak is the problem, take your truck leaking form... It apart to repair it and avoid an extended down time right away a fairly common problem these! Is they gave me a rental vehicle until its fixed exchanger problems to... Much luck for any leaks to repair it and avoid an extended down.. Just like other antifreeze on the passenger side of the exhaust heat exchanger problems to! You know someone who loves working on stuff and add more until you reach the fill line to the. My name, email, and my part was shipped this week to the dealership another possibility a... Out of the exhaust heat exchanger some culprits that cause the hoses, alternator, air,. Repairs, expect to pay around $ 1000 or more for the job is probably in complimentary. That have had this diagnosed on my 2013, found it leaking after freeze! His spare time, the only f150 coolant leak passenger side that & # x27 ; s bothering freeze! Keep pouring in as much as possible until you reach the fill.! Leak stops, understand there is a cracked engine block: another cause... They inscribed on the repair without much luck muscle cars, Jeeps and anything to! Mechanic to get some other quotes on the market his spare time, the additives the!
Paypal Service Unavailable, Smokin Dave's Corn Bake Recipe, Yvonne Bergere Cause Of Death, Articles F