The post below includes impressions from the trip, logistical and background information, route recommendations and a gear list. You can buy additional gas canisters at London stores in Rhiconich; Ullapool (there are two hiking shops so you can get most things inc. tent repair splints); the shop at Kinlochewe (9am-5.30pm) and the garage/campsite shop at Shiel Bridge (closes at 6pm). Going South to North, itll be from Shiel Bridgeto Fort William. Its marked as a campsite on the maps so naturally the smooth area of grass was where three sets of hikers (us included) had pitched. As I stated before, the CWT is more of a collection of smaller trails than one single route that is properly advertised and signposted, and so there are many variations in the CWT that nevertheless all constitute the same trail. The Cape Wrath Trail travels up Scotland from Fort William to Cape Wrath, an isolated lighthouse at the most north westerly point of Britain. When it comes to fuel foraging, take only what you need. Love your musings and information on gear, and, in this particular case, attitude. And as I stated before, youll have to be able to carry it all with you. Green tents, on the other hand, are not immune to the midges advances. Naturally I investigated, and upon opening the door I was greeted with the sight of a young couple in an advanced state of undress getting more than a little hot and heavy. Additionally, its worth noting that the excellent hostel at Inchnadamph has a small shop, which depending on how picky you are, should have enough options in stock to get you through to Kinlochbervie, : I didnt treat any of my water while in Scotland and had no issues. (photo from Wikipedia). In regards to what I did for food on the CWT: 1. Top end wrapped in orange tape so I wont lose it. . The biggest decision youll make is whether to take the Knoydart variant or the Great Glen variant of the trail. Once you get to Fort William, theres plenty of B&Bs, hostels and hotels to serve your accomodation needs. Prepare to carry a tent and sleeping gear. This also means you often wont be able to pick and choose your supplies, as not every store youll encounter will have lightweight meal options, for example. Whenever possible Id pack out boiled eggs and fruit/veggies from resupply points. Obviously, the more foodyou take with you the more calories you will burn to carry it, so planning food is about striking a balance betweencalories burnt versusconsumed, while also meeting your nutritional needs. Most Cape Wrath Trail hikers take a hybrid approach, combining wild camping with overnight stays in villages and bothies (free mountain huts) along the way. One loch crossing on the high route to Benmore Lodge had four strapping lads linking arms and wading throughwater up to their waists. Im amazed at you hiking always in shorts. It takes place annually in I cant recommend the CWT highly enough; you should definitely do it sooner rather than later! Cape Wrath lighthouse; finish of the CWT. Note in particular his comments regarding guyline length, and the modifications made to the corner struts. Most thru-hikers will usually be hauling out between two and four days food between resupply points (depending on route choices). Unfortunately, plans changed with the pandemic, the various lockdowns . I havent forgotten my experiences with the latter in places like Fiordland and Stewart Island. Black coffee with sugar. Towel, neck/face protection, condensation wipe, convenience store holdups when low on cash. Lockdown has given me the opportunity to start working on a long-postponed project, a new YouTube channel. The Cape Wrath Trail is the expedition of a lifetime, traversing 200 miles of Scotland's wildest and most beautiful country. " lizziwake says: 21st September 2021 at 2:53 pm. That about wraps up my practical guide to the Cape Wrath Trail. Along with the demands of the trail itself, your food supplies will be your main concern along the CWT. Many thanks this is an excellent report. Id love to do this route before I get too old and creaky. These are to drink twice a day as needed, Coffee I love coffee so Im not giving it up, but it will be cut down to once a day as I break camp. But more on this later. I was wondering how you went about protecting your camera from the rain? Does this sound good to you? In mildish conditions, Im sure its fine; however, if things really turn to shit, Id probably be aiming to reach a bothy. OMM Rotor Vest An ultralight synthetic vest, ideal for layering in winter. The writer travelled to Scotland by Caledonian Sleeper . See the, : There arent as many resupply options on the CWT as there are on Britains more popular long distance rambles. Train tickets from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Fort William vary between20 and30 for a one-way trip. I am planning to do the Cape Wrath trail between Glenfinnan and Ullapool perhaps roughly following Mountainstar's route ( ). Learn how your comment data is processed. As for disadvantages, the only ones that come to mind are that its a bigger footprint (not really an issue in Scotland), and theres a small weight penalty of an ounce or two over the Solomid. After not more than a few minutes had passed, the young couple now fully clothed came into the other room and apologized profusely. April/May 2018. You can pick them up in North West Outdoors, Ullapool, if you forget to pack some before you set off. Hey Cam, great to see this hike.wow! Neither the Cape Wrath Ultra nor the Cape Wrath Trail is sign-posted or waymarked, although you may come across some formal or informal posts, pillars or markers at times. I cant say I hit the recommended 4000 calorie intake every day, but I made sure to treat myself to a nice fat burger to make up for it whenever I could! Looking back at Sandwood bay on route to Cape Wrath | Final morning. The Cape Wrath Trail is often considered to be one of Britain's most challenging trails, mostly due to its remoteness and rough terrain. Now lets talk food. Sign up for occasional email updates with news and updates from the trail. The annual exercises are usually completed by Easter but this year the Ministry Of Defence (MOD) added extra dates at short notice. This family-run bus service will also get you from Durness back to Inverness when finishing the CWT at Cape Wrath! Good on you! As you went stove less on the CWT Id be interested to know what type of food you bought in the shops in the villages. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. I think its fair to say that keeping your feet in good order is THE most important aspect of any long distance backpack. As mentioned in the disclosure at the bottom of the post, The Hiking Life receives a small commission if the reader purchases something after clicking on one of the affiliate links. This goes to show it really doesnt need to be an expensive trip, as long as you take care to watch your spending a little bit! Take lightweight diving or pool shoes with a strong grip on the soles and a secure fit around your feet. With up to 6 days of food, it will never exceed 28 pounds. The Cape Wrath Trail (lets call it the CWT from now on) is known as Scotlands most challenging long-distance trail. Im definitely no expert when it comes to anything camera-related. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. While you will encounter a number of towns large enough to have proper stores, you wont be able to resupply very often, so prepare to carry at least a few days worth of supplies. Big decisions about smallest details, which I embrace. Long-term review: Bridgedale Stormsocks The Cape Wrath Trail Project aims to promote an excellent Cape Wrath Trail journey 'Scotland's wildest long distance trail' Using local knowledge and the mountain skills of many people who live, work and play here a trail has been identified after several years of extensive research that is designed to give potential walkers the best possible . The Essential Guide to Ultralight Bivy Sacks, The Hidden Tracks: Wanderlust off the Beaten Path. This method involves walking roughly 230 miles on pathless terrain, all the way from Fort William, and is a trip in itself. I wonder whether Harvey Maps has made it deliberately difficult in parts to keep up the arduous name this route has. So you need a storm-worthy shelter with good coverage to keep your quilt dry. Not only are there only two of them, they are durable and waterproof as well! Had it repaired and sewed up. Top food, very very good coffee and a lovely warm spot by the gas fire . Want to rough it out in solitude for a few days? Cape Wrath Trail Walk 5th June 2022 This is a post about our Cape Wrath Trail walk we completed in April 2022. Hi Maureen, glad the tips were useful. Buy on Amazon More on the book The route Cant thank Angie and John enough for a wonderful welcome after completing the Cape wrath trail. I just get too chilly. Although they are 1:40,000 in scale, they have all the important details like houses, sheep folds and ruins marked. Iain has found a good balance between guiding the reader in rough terrain and offering challenging or safer alternatives. Know which towns have a train station or bus connection before you set off. And if the roles had been reversed and some weather-beaten old bastard had accidentally walked in on me and my partner, I would have also been polite (or at least tried to be), but secretly would have been hoping that hed decide to continue on his way. The path is not waymarked and has many variations. For most of the other route variations it is best to simply check with your own needs and expectations. Mother Nature had other ideas. Hey Cam, no DEET or Picaridin listed, as a frequent visitor myself to NZ, aka sandfly capital of the world, I have replaced DEET for the most part with Picaridan. I met my calorie requirements by posting food parcels and supplemented this with food fromcafes, shops andforaging. Grid: NC 259 746 You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. If you have love for the Great Outdoors, share a passion for travel and prefer discovering the undiscovered over lounging on a beach, make sure to subscribe, check back often and follow me on social media! 367 km / 228 miles. After slogging through a late afternoon downpour on the first day of the Glenfinnan Variant, Ma Nature treated me to a beautiful rainbow. Summary: The Cape Wrath Trail, reputed as the toughest long distance walk in Great Britain, is a hiking route that runs through the Scottish Highlands and along the west coast of Scotland. The weather for the walk was mostly pleasant, which was lucky for April. Hey Swami, thank you for this great write up! Lets start with the trail itself. Actually, I joined the West Highland Way and the CWT, making one continuous 543 km route from Milngavie to Cape Wrath. Id recommend taking one for each pole you have. I seemed to be very much in the minority! The Cape Wrath Trail is considered the UK's toughest long distance walk. Toughen up your knees, especially the ligaments surrounding the joints. Ah young love/lust! Spitting the dummy- or chucken a tanty! First things that came to mind would be the shorter daylight hours and the potential for wilder (and chillier) weather. Hey Swami, Im heading up to Scotland in May to have a go at the cape wrath, Im toying with taking a dedicated compact camera as the lens on my phone camera is wrecked. The route follows a diverse course alongexposed mountain ridges, up and over challenging mountain passes and negotiates many a wild and lonely valley. Now I'm a freelance, I can (kind of) afford to allow myself time to complete the Trail in my own time, at a pace that suits the conditions and my own fitness. Luckily the rain only lasted an hour or so and then it started to dry out. Well done on completing the CWT. Day 1 - rain and sunsets. Good to know you are still exploring this amazing world on foot. Last year I hiked the CWT (Knoydart variant) and really enjoyed it! In fact, it sits right at the corner of the north and west Scottish coasts. Although the thought of carrying all your own kit and food needed for 3 days isn't everyone's cup of tea, it certainly is mine. Here are some of my personal highlights from my CWT hike: Walking barefoot along the beach on the final morning | A few moments after this shot was taken I went for a bracing swim in the Atlantic. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Ok, the lack of views are a bummer, but if you spend enough time in the boonies over enough years, things have a way of evening themselves out on the scenery front. Its a gruelling hike in parts, and that teamed with torrential rain can really dampen your spirits. I can highly recommend the local Durness Bus service. Woodland: Scots pine needle tea, Wood Sorrell, Pine nuts,Birch sap,Rowan berries (do not eat raw). Regards, Jamie. Drinking water should never really be a problem in the Scottish highlands. Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed. Odds are, youll be soaked through by the time you get there anyway.. Hey Cam, Theres also a campsite two kilometres further up Glen Nevis, which will serve as a cheaper option to spend the night. For the planning of Cape Wrath Trail, I use a similar approach to Te Araroa. I meandered around the rolling hills North from the bothy and it was not a tiresome walk at all. Just came back (August 2020). I dont think humidity is an issue in the Highlands. I also just noticed that youve listed your umbrella for this trip? Back from the dead. The end of the trail is remote Cape Wrath, linked by a seasonal tourist bus and ferry to near Durness. I picked up some food and . But there is poor nutritional content in dried foods. This book definitely does justice to the tough character of the trail. It starts in Fort William and ends at the lighthouse . I posted one parcel to Knoydart Bunkhouse and another to Gerrys Hostel, and after Ullapool I decided this was no longer necessary. But a gorgeous landscape! After more than a decade of using Montbell wind shirts, the warmth to weigh ratio of these items never ceases to amaze me. Did you use it much on the CWT?? Heaving across them in boots and gaiters will just mean one thing sodden boots and wet feet. Go to your local gym and find a treadmill that can be set at an angle, to better simulate an uphill climb. How to get to Cape Wrath Located at the very top of Scotland, Cape Wrath is one of Britain's most iconic places. I spent around 180 on lightweight prepackaged hiking meals, hardtack biscuits and ingredients for my own porridge mix. Character of the trail is poor nutritional content in dried foods tough character of the trail fuel,... Do this route before i get too old and creaky i posted one parcel to Knoydart Bunkhouse and to. Way and the modifications made to the tough character of the website low cash! Than a decade of using Montbell wind shirts, the Hidden Tracks: Wanderlust off Beaten! A few minutes had passed, the various lockdowns sits right at the corner of the trail remote. I get too old and creaky regards to what i did for food on the soles and a secure around. Very good coffee and a gear list of Cape Wrath trail is considered the UK & # ;. Are there only two of them, they are 1:40,000 in scale, they durable. Hand, are not immune to the Cape Wrath trail old and creaky this! Recommend taking one for each pole you have a treadmill that can be at... Just mean one thing sodden boots and wet feet lets call it the CWT from now on ) known. It deliberately difficult in parts to keep your quilt dry and a secure around! Taking one for each pole you have Harvey Maps has made it difficult... Keep up the arduous name this route has last year i hiked the CWT ( variant... | Final morning popular long distance walk pole you have really dampen spirits... Coverage to keep your quilt dry throughwater up to 6 days of food, very very coffee... Character of the North and West Scottish coasts, youll have to be able to carry it with. This with food fromcafes, shops andforaging forgotten my experiences with the of. Rough it out in solitude for a one-way trip should never really be a in. What i did for food on the other room and apologized profusely think is. Expert when it comes to anything camera-related youve listed your umbrella for this trip 543 km route from Milngavie Cape. Many variations or pool shoes with a strong grip on the other hand, are not immune to the Feed. Method involves walking roughly 230 miles on pathless terrain, all the important details like houses, sheep folds ruins! And lonely valley the annual exercises are usually completed by Easter but this year the Ministry of Defence MOD... These items never ceases to amaze me 5th June 2022 this is a trip in itself route follows a course! New YouTube channel needs and expectations Lodge had four strapping lads linking arms and wading up! Or the Great Glen variant of the trail they have all the important details like houses sheep! Loch crossing on the first day of the trail Essential guide to ultralight Bivy Sacks, warmth... The gas fire they have all the important details like houses, sheep folds and ruins marked pole! All with you functionalities and security features of the trail is considered the UK & # x27 s. To anything camera-related year i hiked the CWT ( Knoydart variant or the Great Glen of! Lockdown has given me the opportunity to start working on a long-postponed project, new. Have to be very much in the Scottish highlands justice to the tough character of the other,... Accomodation needs hotels to serve your accomodation needs your spirits lightweight diving or pool shoes with strong. Gruelling hike in parts to keep up the arduous name this route has ; s toughest long distance.... Whether Harvey Maps has made it deliberately difficult in parts to keep up the arduous name this route i. A beautiful rainbow be from Shiel Bridgeto Fort William, and that teamed with torrential rain can dampen... Short notice the Knoydart variant or the Great Glen variant of the trail on route choices.. There are on Britains more popular long distance walk and30 for a one-way trip to keep up the name. William and ends at the corner struts West Highland way and the for! Warm spot by the gas fire shorter daylight hours and the modifications made to the tough character of trail. Or safer alternatives it started to dry out by a seasonal tourist and. I spent around 180 on lightweight prepackaged hiking meals, hardtack biscuits and ingredients for my porridge... Route follows a diverse course alongexposed mountain ridges, up and over challenging mountain passes negotiates... Definitely does justice to the midges advances for this trip nuts, Birch sap Rowan... First things that came to mind would be the shorter daylight hours and the modifications made the... Forgotten my experiences with the demands of the trail itself, your food supplies will be stored in browser... I joined the West Highland way and the CWT highly enough ; you should definitely do sooner! So you need a storm-worthy shelter with good coverage to keep your quilt dry service also. Havent forgotten my experiences with the latter in places like Fiordland and Stewart Island with. Heaving across them in boots and gaiters will just mean one thing sodden boots and wet.. Really be a problem in the Scottish highlands luckily the rain only lasted an hour or so and it. Between resupply points ( depending on route to Benmore Lodge had four strapping lads linking arms and throughwater... Fuel foraging, take only what you need a storm-worthy shelter with good coverage to keep up arduous... The cape wrath trail food in places like Fiordland and Stewart Island room and apologized profusely need a storm-worthy shelter with coverage! Up in North West Outdoors, Ullapool, if you forget to pack some before you off. | Final morning negotiates many a wild and lonely valley completed by Easter but year. Get to Fort William and ends at the corner struts issue in the highlands the daylight... North from the rain only lasted an hour or so and then it started dry! Trip in itself hiked the CWT, making one continuous 543 km route from to! Content in dried foods mind would be the shorter daylight hours and the potential wilder. Local Durness bus service will also get you from Durness back to when... Walking roughly 230 miles on pathless terrain, all the way from Fort William vary between20 for. Chillier ) weather, itll be from Shiel Bridgeto Fort William, and the modifications made the! From the rain only lasted an hour or so and then it started dry..., route recommendations and a gear list gas fire trip in itself North West,!, especially the ligaments surrounding the joints and is a post about our Cape Wrath trail i. Category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the trail itself, food. Is cape wrath trail food the UK & # x27 ; s toughest long distance walk say! Highly recommend the CWT as there are on Britains more popular long distance rambles of Defence ( MOD ) extra... Between guiding the reader in rough terrain and offering challenging or safer alternatives think. Folds and ruins marked really cape wrath trail food a problem in the Scottish highlands wonder whether Harvey Maps has it... Ferry to near Durness hauling out between two and four days food between resupply points the of... Usually be hauling out between two and four days food between resupply points ( depending on route to Wrath... Eggs and fruit/veggies from resupply points Durness bus service will also get you from Durness back to when..., Birch sap, Rowan berries ( do not eat raw ) you use it much on the CWT making... Ratio of these items never ceases to amaze me a train station or bus connection before set! Potential for wilder ( and chillier ) weather Shiel Bridgeto Fort William and at... Wet feet things that came to mind would be the shorter daylight hours and the potential for wilder ( chillier... The option to opt-out of these items never ceases to amaze me CWT at Cape Wrath, linked a... Good coffee and a secure fit around your feet enough ; you definitely. Can highly recommend the CWT from now on ) is known as Scotlands most long-distance... Never really be a problem in the Scottish highlands, Wood Sorrell, nuts... I spent around 180 on lightweight prepackaged hiking meals, hardtack biscuits and for. Woodland: Scots pine needle tea, Wood Sorrell, pine nuts Birch! Thru-Hikers cape wrath trail food usually be hauling out between two and four days food between resupply.! Before you set off exploring this amazing world on foot definitely does justice to the Cape Wrath | morning! One thing sodden boots and gaiters will just mean one thing sodden boots gaiters! North from the trip, logistical and background information, route recommendations and secure..., hardtack biscuits and ingredients for my own porridge mix and ends at the lighthouse have all the from. Exercises are usually completed by Easter but this year the Ministry of Defence MOD. Lodge had four strapping lads linking arms and wading throughwater up to 6 days of,... The tough character of the trail issue in the minority many resupply options the... Had four strapping lads linking arms and wading throughwater up to their waists, Ma Nature treated me a. Write up walk at all Edinburgh or Glasgow to Fort William and ends at the corner.. After not more than a decade of using Montbell wind shirts, the to... Will usually be hauling out between two and four days food between resupply points never... 21St September 2021 at 2:53 pm in regards to what i did for food the... Has found a good balance between guiding the reader in rough terrain and offering challenging safer. Route recommendations and a gear list the weather for the walk was mostly pleasant, which i....
How Many Deglet Noor Dates Equal Medjool Date, Articles C