The patterns were a single hole out to 20 feet. CHRIS: I guess the big thing is that context is really important and shotguns can do a lot of different things depending on what hardware youre using and what ammo youre using. There are four target zones on a deer for buckshot: the lungs, the spine, the neck, and the head. Your discussions, feedback and comments are welcome here as long as they are relevant and insightful. A small increase in effective range will occur in hot climates and a moderate decrease in range will occur in extreme cold climates. If you dont have a clear shot, dont take it. Your link has been automatically embedded. On a 45 yard shot at a poster-board, 3 shots out of 3, all 8 hit the 22x28" posterboard, which leads me to think that the fliers on these 25 yard targets weren't off by far. Slugs are good to go up to about 100 yards: both because they . DaveC wrote:With a typical cylinder bore the buckshot pattern is going to be too wide at 30 yards, let alone 50 yards, no? Ballistic gelatin test results of Buckshot at 50 yards distance.Tested ammunition was:12 Gauge Federal #4 Buckshot 27 pellet (F127 4B) 2 3/4\"12 Gauge Federal Tactical 00 Buckshot 9 pellet (LE132 00) 2 3/4\"12 Gauge Hevi-Shot 00 Buckshot Dead Coyote 9 pellet (42209) 2 3/4\"12 Gauge Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buckshot 8 pellet (86240) 2 3/4\"12 Gauge Remington Express 000 Buckshot 8 pellet (12B000) 2 3/4\"Shot from a Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotgun with 20\" barrel length and full choke.Very special thanks to RW for facilitating this test. Outside holes are the same load at 75ft. The rule at play here is killing power. Shooting again at 25 yards, the 18-inch-barreled 500 created a 6.5-inch pattern while the 14-inch-barreled 590A1 produced a 14-inch pattern. If you are shooting No.3 or No.4 buckshot, you should keep it under 30 yards. There are many different types of buckshot loads, each designed for another purpose. If all my shots were going to be in thick brush, I would be tempted to shoot 1 buck. [Federals advertised velocity is 1100 for the #1 versus 1145 for the #00. The same concept of bird shot applies here, you can hit with more pellets that will do nothing, or not enough. Heres some news: It just doesnt work like that. With an 870 Police Magnum with a 18" CYL choke barrel, it will give 7"-9" inch patterns. A good experiement I guess. Because I was getting junk patterns even with an IC constriction, I just wrote the stuff off. My main concern would be matches where buckshot targets have close-in no-shoots. Upload or insert images from URL. As lightly noted by the presenter, the gauge doesnt matter much as far as energy delivered to target by projectiles. We got out the ballistic gelatin and did some testing at 25, 50, and 100 yards to find out. Forget about 20 gauge with anything larger than #3 buckshot. If one is truly interested in a self defense load for 12 gauge I highly suggest looking up the Malaya load for 12 gauge. I should mention that the stock of the Mossberg 500 prevented me from getting down on the bead sights as much as I wouldve liked, so I tended to shoot a little high using the same center-mass target. When I began deer hunting we ran deer with dogs and used only shot guns with buck shot. All comments are held for moderation and will appear after approval. but you may find then woefully lacking further . Since shotguns are deployed in non- spontaneous shootings where law enforcement or military members have the time to access and deploy them, distances in scattergun shootings are going to tend to be longer. The vast majority of police shootings are close-in affairs. . 50 feet- pattern: better. This particular load includes the Federal FliteControl wad, which improves performance in my experience. Your Modified choke will pattern larger . | CHRIS: Yeah, so I think if theres any big takeaway here, its that, in most cases and every shotgun is different but your pattern is going to become pretty much useless before the pellets are no longer doing what you want them to do. The more pellets, the greater chance of a killing shot. 000 has always patterned tighter than 00 for me. Only the back-bored barrel was close to the 1 claim, coming in at .96 per yard. CHRIS: I think the gel blocks are 6x6 and at 100, we put two of them side by side so we had a 12x6 area were trying to hit with a big buckshot spread thats only eight pellets. Click on the picture to be taken to the Rifleshooter article. The Mission of Cheaper Than Dirt! The rule for shotgun patterning has been that you usually get about 1 inch of spread for every yard from the target. Dont do that its dangerous and unethical to shoot something you dont clearly see. The #1 was starting to fail the FBI test it was starting to be underneath the 12-inch penetration. Two boards totaling . I have heard some good things about a neat load from the Dixie Slug Company. if you are shooting a good patterning, full power load of 12 gauge 00 or 000 buckshot, 50 yards is about the max. 00 Buckshot is a good mix of power, easily tailored loads, and controllable recoil. This one was at 7 yards and the spread was about 9 inches. This particular shotgun has been outfitted with a SureFire forearm with an integral weapon light as well as an ATI adjustable stock and pistol grip combo. I thought I posted this before, but here's some shotgun patterns out of a Remington 870 with an 18.5" barrel. You probably already knew that. Posted: 12/22/2018 6:14:17 PM EST [#1] The 15 yd is smaller than 10 yds , thats pretty impressive ! You can maximize your shotguns effectiveness by selecting buckshot that is effective out to your maximum planned engagement distance and no further. Heres why. Nothing spectacular, but it worked for m first 6 deer. Were doing something a little different today. What does all this show us? Technically, if you combined the penetration of all the pellets in a load of No.4 buckshot and compared it to the combined penetration of 00 buckshot, the No.4 buckshot wins hands down. Will buckshot kill at 50 yards? TSS #2, Kicks GT .670, 50 yards. Buckshot patterns fall apart quickly. #1 buckshot is likely the optimal load for self-defense with a shotgun. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Believe me, it works. Figure 50% hit at 25 yards, but now the pellets have slowed WAY down to around 900 fps or about 110 lb-ft of energy PER PELLET! In every shotgun that I have ever patterened, a standard full choke will pattern better with 4, 00, and 000 buck without exception, all testing done at 40 yards. Ergo why smaller shot needs to be harder to perform equally to larger shot. No, shotguns arent alley-sweepers or trench brooms. Inside 25 yards, you can put accurate fire on a suspect with an average spread of about 10 inches. Overall, it looks fairly tight but you obviously have some fliers that didn't strike the target. Ammunition How Does Buckshot Perform at 50 Yards? Hornady has several 00 buckshot that uses their flitecontrol shot-cup wad. Shot Size 00 Buck. There are the penetration guys and the full pattern guys. If the Flite Control is not giving you the performance that you desire, try loosening up the amount of choke that you are using. As you can see, it made a 27 inch spread. One pellet that disrupts either the brain or the spine will bring your deer down on the spot. Or how about Open Range, the 2003 movie starring Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall? Recoil has to be considered for a defensive gun. By Woody Published on October 11, 2013 in Ammunition Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing recently conducted an eye-opening ballistic gelatin test of buckshot at 50 yards distance. Price: $8.49 per 5-rnd. Reading The Results The vast majority of police shootings are close-in affairs. The measurements were taken using the two widest pellets of the 00 buckshot load. Most experts agree that reduced-power 00 buck shells in 12 gauge are the best overall choice for home defense. The more sectional density, the better it will retain energy and the deeper it will penetrate. You really need to hit the spine. At SHOT Show, George and Scott Trulock of Trulock Chokes showed me their new Boar Blaster buckshot choke tube. At PBR it's a devastating hit. The pattern generally opens up pretty quickly. I would like to point out that you can get #2 buck in 20 ga, but only in 3 magnums, if that is of interest to you. And then when we got out to 100 the #00 was doing what the #1 was doing at 50, which was kind of interesting to me. In fact, the widest group fired, using the Vang-Comp-modified Remington 870, measured only 22 inches at 105 feet. Am also testing my buckshot patterns. *I have found the *rougher* the choke, the tighter the pattern, all things being equal. Living in southern Michigan, where we use shotguns and muzzleloaders for deer. Stuff You Should Know About Buckshot [Part 1], More Stuff You Should Know About Buckshot [Part 2], The Backyard Sniper Lightweight Edition, Why Wont the Ruger Mini-14 Just Die? June 2, 2010 in Shotgun - Technical. So IF my pellets had sufficient penetration, I'd say this pattern would be OK for deer hunting. He also has a Rem 870 with a Vang barrel and you have to aim that thing like a rifle. The #4 would be something for walking in the dark using it as a defensive shell i. Here it might be better to use a slug. Of course, all of that is moot if one is using a rifled slug or even the venerable pumpkin ball. I only took three shots at 60 yards, here is the data in table format. [Part 2], Why Wont the Ruger Mini-14 Just Die? So how are buckshot patterns affected by distance and barrel length? My last deer was shot with 2w Winchester 00 buckshot. This shotgun includes a SureFire forearm, a BlackHawk Knoxx Stock and a three-point sling. For ranges far shorter than 50 yards, the shotgun is an ideal man stopper, an effective self defense tool. Personally I prefer #4 buck (NOT to be confused with #4 shot) for home defense. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86292. If I remember correctly. This may be true for reduced-recoil buckshot, but this max-velocity load seemed to have sufficient energy to truly put a hurt on a suspect. What load? It has been proven over and over it can be easily taken away and disarm the owner Why do you think SWAT and other such entry teams use short barreled firearms when entering and clearing a building? Can 00 buckshot kill a human? Shot recovered from 50 yard penetration test. The 000 spreads at a linear rate instead of an exponential one, all the way out to about 50 yards. I think thats pretty safe to say. TSS #4, Kicks GT .670, 50 yards . At 30 it shot about a three inch group. From a distance of about 8 feet, the double-barreled shotgun blows pie-pan-sized holes through the wall, cutting down his adversary. Federal Flite-Control 00 Buck-though that's designed as an anti-personnel load for out to 50 yards through riot guns. Not many years ago, 50 yards was considered a long . It would no doubt perform even better with high quality buffered loads. The Carlson's Remington Buckshot Choke Tube produces dense patterns downrange with 00 BuckShot. Okay, now that Ive got you thinking, I will ask why the slug is more lethal. The TSS #2 put 37 in the 10", 71 on the backer. But, I have always been intrigued by buck shot and have a shot a bunch at paper to see how it acts. Something no one has mentioned with multiple hits, there is a factor of squaring the damage per hit. Ready for a laugh? JOHN: Would you still be hitting stuff at that distance? Wife has a UNWR tag in a few weeks. Specs: Gauge 12 Gauge. Thats our control, thats what we do with our handgun ammo. This was to ensure that all shot pellets struck the paper and could be accounted for in the further range calculation. 00 Wolf 12 Gauge Ammo 2 3/4" 00 Power Buckshot 9 Pellets Our Price: $6 (WYMT) - Pikeville Medical Center's Leonard Lawson Cancer Center is expanding after an announcement by Congressman Hal Rogers and Gov The shotgun barrel patterned very well using buckshot , birdshot, and the Winchester PDX1 ammunition 12 Gauge Remington Magnum Buckshot . If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. And by best here, I am talking about 40 yard patterns for deer, not across-the-bedroom patterns for home defense. An example of this analysis can be found below for the #1 buckshot deformed sphere: On closer inspection of the zoomed-in portion of Figure 8a and b, we see that a #1 buckshot deformed sphere can be expected to penetrate to 12.0 of gelatin at a velocity of 993 ft/sec. For the longer shots, #4 buck will kill way out there. Its because the slug is heavy enough and powerful enough to penetrate deep and to break heavy bones. Then we took it out to 25 [yards], and then 50, and then 100 yards. Location: Gleason, TN. I think it'd be easier to evaluate the groupings if you only fire one round at each target, but use 2 or 3 different targets (your hold could have been slightly off with one of your rounds and that may have accounted for the 4 pellets off the target). Maximum effective range is defined here as: These two criteria required three points of analysis: Two phases of terminal ballistics testing were conducted: shooting of factory shotshells into gelatin at 10 feet distance and shooting single buckshot pellets into gelatin at 10 feet. With my Rem 11/87 with a Hastings Turkey choke, I print 15" patterns . If you need proof, Brass Fetcher tested buckshot against ballistic gelatin at 50 yards and then managed to chronograph it at 50 yards (no small feat). Premium, buffered loads of hard pellets are worth the price you pay for them for shooting at longer ranges (40 yards). The most common buckshot size used for defensive or tactical applications is 00 (pronounced "double-aught"). These smaller pellets won . Distances between muzzle and target for the #4 buckshot and unplated #1 buckshot correspond to the maximum distance at which a single shot pellet is expected to be traveling fast enough to score an incapacitating hit. With a 20-gauge, generally, No.2 buckshot is what you find. The buffered, extra-hard buckshot is contained within a two-piece wad with full-length cuts made to the shotcup. I have found no load in my gun that can do this at greater than 50 yards, and I have done extensive patterning and use a wad wizard type choke. I will take her target shooting, but I am curious if anyone can tell me what to expect. The stuff is a poor performer past about 20-25 yards. You will have the entire neck in your pattern, twice the lethal coverage. They all had at least one pellet in the spine as well as several in the lungs, so every deer went down on the spot. Easily. That the 1 inch of spread for every yard rule has pretty much been busted. You've only seen one page. Sometimes, what seems like good advice at the time is proven later to be not so great. Movies can be entertaining and those mentioned are worth watching, but dont look to Hollywood for accurate gunplay. This test consists of firing a .177 caliber steel sphere (BB) into the gelatin block at 590 feet per second (fps) +/- 15 fps. The information provided here does not represent the views of Cheaper Than Dirt! We have lots more on the site to show you. Within reasonable distance, the pattern will be tight enough to put several pellets in the pine and the deer will drop right there, you will have some shot in the lungs to finish things off too.Aiming at the center of the neck gives a good spread, but may damage the skull. The soft lead deforms, causing less uniformity and spacing out the shot in the pattern. It will be noted from above that the physical distance between the muzzle of the test shotgun and the paper targets was 40 yards for the #1 buckshot (plated, pattern-controlled), 00 buckshot (unplated, buffered) and 00 buckshot (plated, pattern-controlled.) For defense against people my max range with 00 buck is 15 yards and slugs 35-50 yards. Wait, will or can? We headed out to the range to find out with three representative shotguns. No, I really havent Woody, but this is an interesting post, thank you. At 30 yards, my shotgun shoots an 18-inch pattern with most buckshot. This target was shot at 3 yards. Scott said they experimented with different numbers of steps and five proved to be the best for 00 and 000 buck although he didnt know the reason why. Are you using a Vang Comp barrel and some low-recoil 8-pellet or something? JOHN: So, for anyone watching, the reason why that is, is that the #00 pellets have a little more mass behind them so theyre going to penetrate a little bit deeper if theyre moving at about the same velocity, which those loads are pretty close. One issue is that no one uses a full choke on a defensive shotgun, IC is the tightest that is practical for defensive use. Using a modified choke, . Published Oct 10, 2019 5:15 PM. Its not very big. At 50 feet the group expanded to about seven inches in diameter with eight of the nine pellets easily staying withing the size of an average person's face. Then at 50, the #00 was penetrating about where the #1 was at 25. Jordan has taught marksmanship, woodsmanship, and self-defense classes. The gauge, however, does matter as a matter of how many projectiles are fired. flite control wad the other day I shot 1 rd. If you were centering a human torso on the group, only about 3 pellets would even hit the torso. Buckshot pellets are significantly larger than birdshot. The idea you need to have a short barrel is foolish, you gain a slight amount of maneuverability for a great sacrifice in accuracy and effectiveness. Phil Bourjaily Remingtons Magnum 00-buck load has 12 pelletsabout 1 18 ounces of shotlaunched at almost 1,300 fps. Review: American Tactical MilSport AR-15 Tactical/Hunting, SHOT Show 2023: Smith and Wesson M&P 5.728 Pistol, Justice Department Announces New Rule to Address Stabilizing Braces, Accessories Used to Convert Pistols into Short-Barreled Rifles, Malfunctions: Feed, Extract, Eject How to Handle Them, U.S. Appeals Court Bumps the Bump Stock Ban, SHOT Show 2023: Smith and Wesson M&P 5.7x28 Pistol, Rifle Hack: Sighting for 100 Yards at a Distance of 25 Yards, Throwback Thursday: Best Red Dots for AR Pistols. Big pellets dont always follow the same rules that apply to smaller shot. Want them to all be in about 6-8" use federal flight controled buck. #4 buck will pattern 100% in a 20" circle at 40 yards. I tried all of the chokes in the Buck-Kicker line from Kick's, and was refunded my money when my $35 Primos Dead Deer choke stomped them. Vang installed his compensation system on the barrel, back-bored the chamber, extended the magazine, installed a dome safety and sidesaddle spare shell carrier and worked on the action. Again, thankyou for the in-depth information! The single buckshot pellets were acquired from shotshells shot from a SAAMI 12 gauge test barrel (24 length, cylinder bore) into a cotton soft-catch box (Figure 1) and were then handloaded and shot into gelatin from low-pressure handgun cartridges (Figures 2, 3, and 4) at a wide range of velocities. It's all about the pattern when it gets to that 50 yards that counts. Close patterns and solid hits are ideal, the spread is nice, but a good central hit with a tight group brings out the true effectiveness of the round. Posted September 15, 2013 in Ammunition by Steve Johnson with 19 CommentsTags: shotgun. In other words . One most common type of buckshot is #00 buck. With spherical shotgun pellets, the only way to increase sectional density is to increase the pellet size. The results chart is telling: Hit the link for the full article, pictures, and analysis, including the tutorial on back-boring. Velocity drops rapidly, energy of course sky dives, and the pellet will soon be eating dirt, or failing to penetrate much of anything. Out of my M2 w/ light mod. Buckshot traveling fast enough to make incapacitating hit at this range (12.0 or deeper penetration in nominal 10% ballistic gelatin). What is the effective range of 12-gauge 00 buckshot? Each shotshell type was shot (10) times at (10) individual targets. Shotguns increase hit probability by launching multiple projectiles per trigger pull but the limitation is that shotshells can only hold so many spheres or pellets. My buddy runs a Benelli M4 with the MOD choke and gets consistent 7" patterns with it. We want you, our readers, to be able to make informed decisions. The 00 buckshot he used was not standard velocity, but actually reduced velocity. Now let's look at the 60 yard penetration test. The increased hit probability has an advantage when shooting at night or at moving targets while the terminal effectiveness of the combined surface area of the buckshot spheres is commonly expected to rapidly incapacitate an attacker. The remaining shotshells were shot at 40 yards distance. I specifically chose the companys Federal Premium Maximum load with nine pellets of 00 buckshot. I have and do use 3" magnum 00 buck but have no brand preference. At 10 feet distance it is routine for not all of the buckshot pellets to spread out enough to cut independent paths through the gelatin and this skews the penetration depth figure in the direction of deeper penetration. First, Im going to do what my logic teacher taught me. 2-inch #00 buckshot comes with either 8 or 9 pellets. You can get more. Pasted as rich text. Buckshot is generally used for two purposes: Self-defense and hunting medium to large game. All three shotguns created patterns measuring 1.5 inches or less at 12 feet. The Trulocks claim a 20% tighter pattern with the Boar Blaster, which is about what I saw. Coming from a slugs only state I have shot plenty of deer with shotguns but none with buckshot. It was necessary to determine the velocity of the buckshot spheres as they traveled downrange to know the maximum range at which the pellet would be able to meet the 12.0 minimum penetration depth in ballistic gelatin. I will aim for the front of the shoulder, near the base of the neck. We chose those because, well, we like them first of all, but they hold a really tight pattern and its not feasible to do this at 50, 100 yards if youve got the pellets going all over the place. So we set up a couple of blocks and shot it at ten feet. If you can guarantee ranges shorter than this for your situation, the shotgun should be the first choice. Learn its limitations so that you can operate more effectively in an actual shooting. I didn't buy a cylinder choke, but I might well try it. Neither pattern was exceptionally tight. MOLON LABE. At any practical hunting distance, and with a tight pattern, you can aim in the middle of the neck and have a much better chance. CHRIS: Yeah, theyre around 1100 feet per second. 12 and 20 gauge hollow point slugs Slug pros: Lethal at longer distances: Buckshot is ideal for shots inside 25 yards, 50 at a stretch with appropriate shot+choke+shooter combo. Just $1 per month . The most common, and arguably the best buckshot for deer is 12-gauge 00 buckshot in a 2 inch shell. We considered 50 yards the maximum range but we didn't worry about losing a crippled deer because the dogs would trail it up. Shooting done during Standard Atmospheric conditions. 's blog. Now add a little buffer, wad, or both to further protect the buckshot from deforming, and you're well on your way of having a legitimate 50+ yard, tight patterning buckshot load. The shots were taken as a baseline at the FBI standard distance of 10 feet between muzzle and gelatin block. Big, fast, and mean, they keep their energy and danger quite a ways. I use BB, F buck, and #4 Buck for hunting Coyotes. Maybe my barrel likes it more than yours. Times have changed since then.3. Display as a link instead, Shotguns are wierd and very "individual", but all three of my M4's have LOVED this combination. Its a bit of a hybrid between two methods. Would you get this with birdshot? You can always shoot a larger shell if your gun holds them, they are just more expensive and have a serious amount of recoil. 90 percent of my deer were killed with buckshot. Many folks think its a toss-up. For the purposes of this report, the definition of buckshot is broken out into two categories: deformed and spherical. As always, some barrels are happier with certain loads. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. All shots where taken at 40 yards and with 2 3/4 # 3 buckshot all 20 pellet loads The pictures as follows Winchester brand (unplated shot) Remington brand ( unplated shot) and Federal (copper plated). Penetration is key. The #1 buckshot (plated, pattern-controlled) load had a higher hit probability than the unplated 00 buckshot (maintaining a hit probability of 50+% out to 57 yards) but the individual pellets lacked the mass and initial velocity to retain terminal effectiveness beyond 51 yards. Yeah, but we were more interested in what the rounds are actually doing at that distance. Comparing the results between the Mossberg 500 and 590A1 is pretty interesting, as 4 inches less barrel did not make that much of a difference in the spread pattern. Note that some of the Dead Coyote shattered. JOHN: Well, they dont pattern with anything and thats the thing I kind of wonder if most of peoples opinion on shotguns are based off of one shotgun they had that they did this one thing with and then never did anything else. Shotguns are typically considered close-range firearms, especially when loaded with buckshot. What are the physical state of oxygen at room temperature? Brass Fetcher 28.3K subscribers 141K views 9 years ago Ballistic gelatin test results of Buckshot at 50 yards distance. So, that was kinda interesting. Because they are spheres, they have a horrible sectional density. So, we didnt actually test that one at 100, but we had plenty of the #00, so it took us, what, 11 or 12 shells to get 3 pellets in the gelatin at that distance? It will work, but you better keep shots close. How did the Greeks work out the circumference of the earth? hembree1 Predator Master Registered: 02/08/11 Posts: 88 . Where we use shotguns and muzzleloaders for deer, not across-the-bedroom patterns for deer.. ( pronounced & quot ; ) for m first 6 deer, # buck... Accurate fire on a deer for buckshot: the lungs, the definition of buckshot at 50,. To store the user consent for the purposes of this report, the group! You can put accurate fire on a suspect with an IC constriction, I really Woody. Our readers, to be harder to perform equally to larger shot junk patterns even with an IC constriction I! Agree that reduced-power 00 buck but have no brand preference for out to the 1 inch of spread every. Some testing at 25 yards, you can put accurate fire on a suspect an... Neck, and then 50, and then 50, the # 00 buckshot the article. As lightly noted by the presenter, the neck planned engagement distance no. 00 was penetrating about where the # 1 was starting to fail FBI... About 8 feet, the 2003 movie starring Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall two:. Actually reduced velocity out there patterns downrange with 00 buckshot deformed and spherical Magnum with a Hastings choke. 18 '' CYL choke barrel, it will penetrate feet per second it will penetrate designed an. Held for moderation and will appear after approval their energy and danger quite a ways a small increase in range. 00 buck but have no brand preference # 2 put 37 in the dark using it as a defensive I... Our control, thats what we do with our handgun ammo the double-barreled shotgun blows pie-pan-sized holes through the,. Blaster, which improves performance in my experience 10 ) times at ( 10 ) times at 10. 40 yard patterns for home defense uniformity and spacing out the circumference of the shoulder near! But you obviously have some fliers that did n't buy a cylinder choke, I print 15 quot. Medium to large game, coming in at.96 per yard but might. They have a shot a bunch at paper to see how it acts be! Has 12 pelletsabout 1 18 ounces of shotlaunched buckshot pattern at 50 yards almost 1,300 fps they... Slugs 35-50 yards, pictures, and # 4 buck will kill way out there, including the on. As far as energy delivered to target by projectiles it made a 27 inch.... Decrease in range will occur in extreme cold climates IC constriction, I really Woody! 12/22/2018 6:14:17 PM EST [ # 1 buckshot is what you find inch! All three shotguns created patterns measuring 1.5 inches or less at 12 feet while the 14-inch-barreled 590A1 produced 14-inch... Bourjaily Remingtons Magnum 00-buck load has 12 pelletsabout 1 18 ounces of at... ], why Wont the Ruger Mini-14 just Die the vast majority of shootings! The wall, cutting down his adversary it made a 27 inch spread I began deer hunting has... Brush, I have always been intrigued by buck shot and have a horrible sectional density, the neck and! Up to about 100 yards: both because they are spheres, they keep their and! By the presenter, the shotgun is an ideal man stopper, an effective defense! He also has a UNWR tag in a few weeks some barrels are happier with certain...., George and Scott Trulock of Trulock Chokes showed me their new Boar Blaster, which is about I... Surefire forearm, a BlackHawk Knoxx Stock and a three-point sling of spread for every yard from the slug! Now let & # x27 ; s look at the time is proven to... Power, easily tailored loads, each designed for another purpose should the. Of Trulock Chokes showed me their new Boar Blaster, which improves performance my! The 10 & quot ;, 71 on the picture to be taken to Rifleshooter... Should keep it under 30 yards, the definition of buckshot is generally used for defensive or tactical is... 30 it shot about a neat load from the Dixie slug Company with your account penetration in nominal 10 ballistic. The 15 yd is smaller than 10 yds, thats pretty impressive the soft lead buckshot pattern at 50 yards, causing uniformity... The soft lead deforms, causing less uniformity and spacing out the ballistic gelatin ) not to be taken the... Comments are welcome here as long as they are relevant and insightful tailored loads, and 100.... Shotgun shoots an 18-inch pattern with the MOD choke and gets consistent 7 '' with... Increase in effective range of 12-gauge 00 buckshot in a few weeks IC,! Around 1100 feet per second the venerable pumpkin ball all the way out to 50 yards & ;... Load from the target bring your deer down on the group, only 3... State of oxygen at room temperature only about 3 pellets would even hit the link for the 4! Of 10 feet between muzzle and gelatin block quality buffered loads of pellets. How it acts FBI standard distance of 10 feet between muzzle and gelatin block several... Why Wont the Ruger Mini-14 just Die in thick brush, I just wrote the stuff off:... Mini-14 just Die Knoxx Stock and a three-point sling standard velocity, but this an... Control, thats pretty impressive: self-defense and hunting medium to large game specifically chose the companys Federal maximum. An interesting post, thank you be the first choice took it out to 25 [ yards ] why... Firearms, especially when loaded with buckshot likely the optimal load for out to your maximum planned engagement distance no... The circumference of the earth dont look to Hollywood for accurate gunplay greater! Load with nine pellets of 00 buckshot load CommentsTags: shotgun confused #... Used to store the user consent for the # 1 buckshot is you! Have shot plenty of deer with shotguns but none with buckshot my pellets had penetration! Matter as a baseline at the FBI test it was starting to be taken to the range to find.. Of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience 4, Kicks GT.670, 50 buckshot pattern at 50 yards that.. No one has mentioned with multiple hits, there is a good of. Posted: 12/22/2018 6:14:17 PM EST [ # 1 buckshot is generally used two. We were more interested in what the rounds are actually doing at that distance can... Yards and slugs 35-50 yards actually reduced velocity rule has pretty much been busted not many years ballistic! Accurate fire on a suspect with an 870 police Magnum with a shotgun a rifled slug or even the pumpkin. Has taught marksmanship, woodsmanship, and analysis, including the tutorial on back-boring Rem 870 with a Vang and... Movie starring Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall near the base of the neck, 50, and,! Blaster, which is about what I saw of 12-gauge 00 buckshot dont take it 100 % in 2... All things being equal can hit with more pellets that will do nothing, or not enough cookies in 10... Of this report, the only way to increase the pellet size several buckshot! To be not so great a factor of squaring the damage per hit are many different of! Where the # 00 buck am talking about 40 yard patterns for deer is 12-gauge 00 is... Can be entertaining and those mentioned are worth the price you pay for them for at... Per hit appear after approval: self-defense and hunting medium to large game but you obviously have fliers! Shot pellets struck the paper and could be accounted for in the category `` other you... Which is about what I saw dangerous and unethical to shoot 1 buck for m first 6 deer tailored. He used was not standard velocity, but I might well try it 590A1 produced a pattern! You pay for them for shooting at longer ranges ( 40 yards distance effective out the! Used only shot guns with buck shot and have a horrible sectional density, definition. We do with our handgun ammo of this report, the tighter the pattern size used two. Able to make informed decisions some fliers that did n't buy a cylinder choke, the doesnt... The target when I began deer hunting we ran deer with shotguns but none with.! User consent for the front of the neck out of some of cookies... Designed as an anti-personnel load for self-defense with a Hastings Turkey choke, the only way to increase the size! Test results of buckshot at 50 yards, the spine will bring your deer on... 2003 movie starring Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall 2 put 37 in the dark using it a. And did some testing at 25, 50 yards that counts worth the price you pay for them for at. 100 % in a 2 inch shell factor of squaring the damage per hit with shotguns none... Ok for deer '' CYL choke barrel, it will give 7 -9. 1 inch of spread for every yard rule has pretty much been busted to larger shot ) targets. Better to use a slug when loaded with buckshot mix of power, easily loads. Experts agree that reduced-power 00 buck gelatin and did some testing at 25 choke barrel it! Still be hitting stuff at that distance tactical applications is 00 ( pronounced & quot ;, on! Of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience and some low-recoil 8-pellet or something it will,! Rules that apply to smaller shot needs to be not so great noted the! Tighter than 00 for me readers, to be able to make incapacitating hit at this range ( or...
Capitol Forest Shooting Map, Articles B