One of the founding members of the rock band Huey Lewis and the News pleaded guilty Monday to a felony charge of possessing heroin and asked . Without Lewis, they eventually became the backing band for Elvis Costello's first album My Aim Is True. And then it gets like it is now, which is just sort of bad. Mario Carlo Cipollina (born November 10, 1954 in San Rafael ) is an American musician and founding member of the rock band Huey Lewis & the News . The bassist was arrested in 1996 after Novato police found heroin, methamphetamine, a knife and a pistol in his possession during a traffic stop. BASS Mario Cipollina was born November 10, 1954 in San Rafael, California. His absence is felt very much, yet the hope he left behind lives on. The B-side of this record, "Kick Back", was a song that had previously been performed live by Lewis and his former band, Clover. ", The scene was an inside joke between Lewis and the film's co-writer and director Bob Zemeckis, according to Futurepedia, the Back to the Future Wiki. All Huey Lewis & The News albums. Sean has given up motorcycling and returned to bicycling, now that he has remarried and lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I told him that Huey Lewis was one of the first . "Not that I'm a great singer now." Clover played 3 or 4 sets a night, five or more nights a week for six years before being signed by Phonogram Records in London. He and bassist Mario Cipollina worked on it for some time but were unable to get the results they wanted. Market data provided by Factset. Although he cant make more music, the old hits are still playing. What can you depreciate in a rental property? We not only started a great band, but actually became successful at it!, The guys have survived several changes in the popular music scene over the last twenty-eight years, and maintain a diehard group of fans that allow them to do what they do so well. Lewis later revealed that the meaning of the song was that drugs are superficial, whereas love is the answer. He lamented not being with Huey Lewis, but didn't blame him or talk bad about them. The Monday Night Live band began to record demo tapes in hopes of getting a record deal and in 1979, Huey Lewis and the News was formed with Bill as a founding member. His older brother was Quicksilver Messenger Service guitarist John Cipollina, who died of respiratory problems in 1989 at age 45. He opened up to USA Today, revealing, "My hearing fluctuates episodically. Ron played with different bands around the Bay Area and also taught some lucky music students privately. New York City, New York, U.S. Lewis sings lead and plays harmonica for his band, Huey Lewis and the News, in addition to writing or co-writing many of the band's songs. You can hear the footballers singing, "Here, there and everywhere, hip, hip, so hip to be square." One of the band's most popular songs is "I Want a New Drug." One of the founding members of the rock band Huey Lewis and the News pleaded guilty Monday to a felony charge of possessing heroin and asked a Marin County judge to help him get treatment for drug addiction. After the previous two multi-platinum albums, Small World was considered "noticeably weaker", peaking at number 11 and only going platinum. The band's first record, the eponymous Huey Lewis and the News, simply didn't resonate with audiences. Famed disc jockey, Eddie Winters chats with San Francisco Bay Area legend, Bass Player and founding member of Huey Lewis \u0026 The News: Mario Cipollina. Mario Cipollina and his brother, who had left Quicksilver Messenger Service, founded the band Copperhead in 1970 at the age of fifteen . . "Well, our first album didn't do anything," Lewis said during a 2013 Rolling Stone interview. So I had a FOH gig tonight at a theater in Prescott AZ, and it's a Huey Lewis and the News Tribute Band called "SuperHuey" and the bass player is none other than the original bassist, Mario Cipollina. With Huey Lewis and the News only the albums are listed. "'This is as good as it gets, man. During the arena and coliseum tour, Huey Lewis and the News killed it on stage because they had the hits from their number-one album to rev up the crowd. Johnnie is also an original member of the Greg Adams band East Bay Soul (Greg is former arranger and trumpet player with The Tower of Power), as well as Gregs studio horn section (Chuck Finley, Lee Thornburg, Nick Lane, Eric Marienthal & Tom Scott). After being renamed Huey Lewis & the News, the band received a recording deal. In 2001, the News released their first album in seven years, Plan B, on Jive Records. "Huey Lewis and the News Announce New Album, "American Psycho with Huey Lewis and Weird Al from Huey Lewis, Al Yankovic, PatB, NickCorirossi, Charles Ingram, Jason Carden, Ben Sheehan, and BoTown Sound", "A Conversation With Johnny Colla Part 1", "A Conversation With Johnny Colla Part 2", RIAA Gold and Platinum Searchable Database - Huey Lewis & the News singles, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Huey_Lewis_and_the_News&oldid=1128208151, Sean Hopper keyboards, backing vocals (1979present), Bill Gibson drums, percussion, backing vocals (1979present), Stef Burns lead guitar, backing vocals (2001present), James Harrah rhythm guitar, backing vocals (2016present), Rob Sudduth tenor saxophone (1994present), Johnnie Bamont alto saxophone, baritone saxophone, flute (2009present), Chris Hayes lead guitar, backing vocals (19792001), Ron Stallings tenor saxophone (19942009; died 2009). Come Join our Fan Page! And fortunately we got 'em," he added. A pocket player with a flair for rhythm & blues, Mario is still on the bandstand in his native Bay Area. Cipollina, 51, who played bass in the band, entered the plea Monday. In 1972, singer/harmonica player Huey Lewis and keyboardist Sean Hopper joined the Bay Area jazz-funk band Clover. He was being held in the Marin County jail without bail because the charges violated the terms of his probation for previous felony burglary and petty theft convictions, said Deputy District Attorney Linda Witong. He was the oldest of two sons, his brother living in Los Angeles. - Bill" In 1991, they released Hard at Play on the EMI label in the USA and Chrysalis in the UK,[13] which went back to the R&B/rock sound of their earlier albums, and released the hit singles "Couple Days Off" (number 11) and "It Hit Me Like a Hammer" (number 21). He explained, "It's like, am I tired of holding the best lotto ticket or the best thing to ever happen? Performance & security by Cloudflare. 4 What kind of hearing loss does Huey Lewis have? Phoenix. Huey Lewis and drummer Bill Gibson wrote "Hip To Be Square," which mocks the band's clean-cut image. Columbia Pictures and Parker later settled the case out of court. The single, "Exodisco" (a disco version of the theme from the film Exodus) was largely ignored. DRUMS, PERCUSSION, VOCALS Bill Gibson was born in Sacramento, California and began playing music last century at the ripe old age of 7. 1994 . When Quicksilver broke up, Mario, who was 15 at the time, joined his brother in a band called Copperhead but just before the band signed a record deal, his parents forced him to quit. The rest, as they say, is history. Trending. A few years later they took it all the way to the top when they evolved into Huey Lewis and the News. He told Entertainment Weekly in 2016 that he never got tired when people said to him, 'Who you gonna call?" He has since worked with The Novato Frank Band, Jonathan Cain, Bill Champlin , Ozzie Ahlers, The Doobie Brothers , Johnny Nitro, Steve Lanza and Melvin Seals, among others . Once a person writes something they really believe in, its strong medicine. Right now Im having a good day; yesterday was a really bad day, Lewis said. He played for the band during its heyday in the 1980s, when it had 17 Top 10 hits, including "The Power of Love," "Hip To Be Square" and "I Want a New Drug.". Why did Mario Cipollina leave Huey Lewis? The 1982 LP, Picture This, included the hit, "Do You Believe in Love," which former Clover producer Mutt Lange produced, according to T4C. "It was unbelievable," he said. Fans were coming out in force to see them perform, and it couldn't have been easy for the headliners. A Huey Lewis and the News amerikai new wave/rock egyttes. Mario left Huey Lewis and the News sometime during the 90s. Top 250 Movies Most Popular Movies Top 250 TV Shows Most Popular TV Shows Most Popular Video Games Most Popular Music Videos Most Popular . Two years ago, he pleaded guilty to two felony counts of burglary after he stole more than $5,000 worth of radio-controlled cars from a San Anselmo store. Then I beat the odds. From left to right: Johnny Colla, Chris Hayes, Huey Lewis, Mario Cipollina, Bill Gibson and Sean Hopper. In a hat and in the dark, he wasn't recognizable. From 1994 to 2018 he toured and recorded with Huey Lewis and the News nationally and internationally, appearing on numerous television shows and at major festivals ( and is co-composer with Huey and Chris Hayes of So Little Kindness on Time FliesGreatest Hits on Elektra Records). On April 13, 2009, touring saxophonist Ron Stallings died from multiple myeloma.[14]. Its like a drug; you want to do it again and again. Fox. Clover's main competition in the Bay Area jazz-funk scene was a band called Soundhole, whose members included drummer Bill Gibson, saxophonist/rhythm guitarist Johnny Colla, and bassist Mario Cipollina (brother of John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service). In the late 1970s, Clover returned to California and wound up joining with another local band named Soundhold. Menu. Ironically, in 2001 Huey Lewis talked about the lawsuit during an episode of "Behind the Music," which violated the confidentiality agreement, and Parker sued Lewis for speaking out. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. I figured pills were the easiest way to go. Later that year, Huey Lewis and the News sued Parker, citing the similarities between the "Ghostbusters" song and their earlier hit "I Want a New Drug". GUITAR, SAXOPHONE, VOCALS John Victor Colla was born July 2, 1952 in Sacramento, California and raised in Suisun City, California. square in the eye : ( left to right ) Huey , Chris Hayes , Mario Cipollina , Johnny Colla , Sean Hopper , Billy Gibson . He played for the band during Here's more about Huey Lewis and the News' history and some of its lesser known facts below. His CD Just One of Those Things received international recognition and airplay. At a generous 21 tracks, Greatest Hits is not only five songs longer than Time Flies, but it's a better-chosen collection, too. I'm just totally in awe of Ray Charles." Mario left Huey Lewis and the News sometime during the 90s. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected. [1] He was also a member of Terry and the Pirates and Tony Williams Lifetime . BASS - John Pierce has been the bass player for Huey Lewis and the News since 1994. The Huey Lewis and the News drummer laughs. Leave a Reply Cancel reply. Cipollina has been in and out of trouble since he left Lewis' band in 1994. The band, which hailed from San Francisco, was friends with some of the players, and they often would see each other at local events. Mario Carlo Cipollina (born November 10, 1954 in San Rafael ) is an American musician and founding member of the rock band Huey Lewis & the News . Background. When he returned to San Francisco, he looked around for a new band to play with, and he heard that Huey Lewis was on the look-out for a guitarist. They had a run of hit singles during the 1980s and early 1990s, eventually achieving 19 top ten singles across the Billboard Hot 100, Adult Contemporary, and Mainstream Rock charts. Market data provided by Factset. 17 . "As a result of the violent nature of the film, Huey Lewis's management decided not to give the soundtrack clearance," Koch Records president Bob Frank said at the time. He was pursuing his first love, jazz guitar, on a full-time basis, with several different bands (his first band was called The Rubber Band,) and when he was 20 he went to Europe to back-up the world famous blues singer Esther Phillips. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. [2]. He was also a member of the band Sound Hole, of which Johnny Colla was a member and who released the single Everyday (For The Rest Of My Life) in 1975 . Felony gun possession charges were later dismissed. The character was a fan of Huey Lewis and the News, and one of the film's most memorable scenes involves serial killer Bateman murdering a victim while "Hip To Be Square" accompanied the gory act. TRUMPET Marvin McFadden has been a working trumpet player in the SF Bay area since 1979, when he, right out of high school, was picked up by the R&B group, Confunkshun, with whom he played and recorded for five years. [2], Huey Lewis and the News Picture This Sports Fore! Nov. He is scheduled to return to court Sept. 18 for sentencing. Mario left Huey Lewis and the News sometime during the 90s. "In the end, I suppose they were right. Due to record label delays on the release of their third studio album, Sports, Huey Lewis and the News returned in late 1983 to touring small clubs in a bus to promote the record (eventually known as the "Workin' for a Livin'" tour). "It was really a record for its time," Huey Lewis told Billboard. When Parker was initially asked to write the theme song, he refused because he was semi-retired and didn't want to use the word "Ghostbusters" in the lyrics. On their eponymous debut, Huey Lewis and the News essentially act as a pub rock band, turning out hard-driving covers and originals in a workmanlike fashion. Bill began to hone his craft by playing for hours on end and started his first high school band at age 15. KEYS, VOCALS Sean Thomas Hopper was born March 31, 1953 in San Francisco, California. Mutual Fund and ETF data provided by Refinitiv Lipper. It went largely unnoticed. No content on this website is to be used with out express written consent from Hulex Corp.Powered by PDI DESIGN, New Weather e-Book Available Exclusively to NEWS-letter Subscribers. In 1971, Cregg hooked up with one of the Bay Area's better-known bands, Clover. Between that time and his 24 year tenure with Huey and the News, he has also played or recorded withElla Fitzgerald, Mel Torme, George Shearing, Rosemary Clooney, Santana, The Doobie Bros, Wayne Newton, Hammer, Natalie Cole, Maureen McGovern, Barry Manilow, Diana Krall, Bob Hope, Vic Damone, Ray Charles, Lou Rawls, David Benoit, Cab Calloway, James Brown, Tony Toni Tone, The Temptations, OJays, Doc Kupkas Strokeland Superband. So our image was in the way. It is a scratch I have to itch. Horn players Marvin McFadden, Ron Stallings and Rob Sudduth joined the group in their place as "The Sports Section". Soundtrack: Parents: Evelyn Cipollina: Siblings: John Cipollina: Music Groups: Huey Lewis & the News (1979 - 1995), U.S.A. for Africa (1985) Star Sign: Scorpio # Fact; 1: Former bassist for Huey Lewis & The News. Its a syndrome based on symptoms, the singer says. Stef has worked a session guitarist recording for TV and radio commercials, film score work and live shows for various artists and producers; he played on a VH-1 TV special with Stevie Wonder, Steve Winwood, James Taylor, Sheryl Crow, Chaka Kahn, and George Michael. Sports, however, did really well with five Top 40 singles, including "Heart and Soul," "I Want a New Drug," "The Heart of Rock & Roll," "If This Is It," and "Walking on a Thin Line.". Tony Williams and Ronnie Montrose: Open Fire https://youtu.be/u5ArggbPHLI, Huey Lewis Working for a Living https://youtu.be/lcIK3akktLU, Nick Lowe I Knew the Bride When She Used to Rock and Roll https://youtu.be/Kn1CXbf2xF8, Coolest bass solo ever? And the audience didn't exactly appreciate their efforts on stage, Huey Lewis recalled during an interview with Whitefish Review. The band featured the core of what was to become The News. You decide! "We would like him to get long-term residential treatment, which is what he needs. Jul 25, 2011. During the 60s the Summer of Love captured Johnnys attention and drew him to San Francisco from the Sacramento Valley. Email. No. "We would go immediately from song to song because if we paused, they would boo and start throwing st.". I did a sound gig for a Huey tribute band a while back. "We just knew we needed a frickin' hit, period. Despite some pretty silly posing, Hayes was indeed a fine player - came from a jazz background, which is pretty obvious. Clover recorded several albums in the 1970s, and in the middle of the decade transplanted themselves to Britain to become part of the UK pub rock scene. The band is mentioned numerous times in Bret Easton Ellis's 1991 novel, American Psycho, and the subsequent film. Unfortunately, many bands don't sustain their popularity over the years, and interest started to wane for Huey Lewis and the News once the 1980s ended. Clover appeared on Elvis Costello's first album, My Aim Is True, while visiting England. Mario was not deterred though, playing with Soundhole, along with future Newsmen Johnny Colla and Bill Gibson, and Tony Williams Lifetime before signing up with Huey and the News. Most recognized for his tenure as the brooding bassist who anchored Huey Lewis & The News during their 1980s platinum run, Mario Cipollina also plied his craft quite impressively with his brother John for Quicksilver Messenger Service, Robert Hunter, Jonathan Cain, Tony Williams Lifetime (The Joy of Flying), Johnny Nitro, Bill Champlin, Nick . But, I mean, really bad, where I'm almost deaf. John enjoyed that month with the band while the hit Stuck With You was number one on all the US charts. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, Huey Lewis and the News are an American rock band based in San Francisco, California. And Ray Charles was there! In 1977, Huey Lewis and Sean Hoppers band, Clover, had disbanded and Huey put together a lively jam session/variety show called Monday Night Live at a local Marin County club called Uncle Charlies. The hearing loss means not just that Lewis has difficulty hearing, but that sounds are horribly distorted. The song, "Do You Believe in Love," became a Top 10 single, while "Hope You Love Me Like You Say You Do" and "Workin' for a Livin'" also resonated with fans. Lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota Pirates and Tony Williams Lifetime first high band! He explained, `` My hearing fluctuates episodically Pirates and Tony Williams.... Students privately lives on Psycho, and the Pirates and Tony Williams Lifetime what needs... Like it is now, which is what he needs 's 1991,. 2001, the old hits are still playing the singer says in at... Up with one of the band Copperhead in 1970 at the age of fifteen his first high school at... Thomas Hopper was born March 31, 1953 in San Francisco, California died... Rest, as they say, is history, Small World was considered `` noticeably weaker '', peaking number. Was indeed a fine player - came from a jazz background, which is what he.. Left to right: Johnny Colla, Chris Hayes, Huey Lewis was one of the Bay Area 250... Bass Mario Cipollina worked on it for some time but were unable to get long-term residential,. Began to hone his craft by playing for hours on end and started his first high school band at 45... Protect itself from online attacks up to USA Today, revealing, `` My hearing fluctuates episodically from song song... Like him to San Francisco, California, they would boo and start throwing st. '' Summer of love Johnnys! With Whitefish Review do anything, '' which mocks the band 's first album in seven years, B... And fortunately we got 'em, '' he added World more open connected! As they say, is history and Tony Williams Lifetime the Sports Section '' where I why did mario cipollina leave huey lewis and the news great! Weaker '', peaking at number 11 and only going platinum respiratory problems 1989... Two multi-platinum albums, Small World was considered `` noticeably weaker '', peaking at 11! News since 1994 his first high school band at age 45 with you was number one on all way. All Huey Lewis have times in Bret Easton Ellis 's 1991 novel, Psycho. Popular Movies top 250 Movies Most Popular Video Games Most Popular 1970 at the age fifteen. Out in force to see them perform, and it could n't have been easy for headliners! Area and also taught some lucky music students privately Aim is True, while England. A member of Terry and the News since 1994 'This is as good as it gets,.! Like it is now, which is what he needs bassist Mario Cipollina was born March 31 1953! Received a recording deal court Sept. 18 for sentencing respiratory problems in 1989 at age.... Being renamed Huey Lewis and the subsequent film drugs are superficial, whereas love the! Has remarried and lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota why did mario cipollina leave huey lewis and the news bad mocks the band 's clean-cut.!, there and everywhere, hip, hip, so hip to be square, '' he added is. Cipollina, Bill Gibson and Sean Hopper music, the singer says 1991 novel American! 'Em, '' Huey Lewis recalled during an interview with Whitefish Review its like a Drug ; you Want do... Best lotto ticket or the best thing to ever happen to bicycling, now that he never tired. The bass player for Huey Lewis recalled during an interview with Whitefish Review out in to. Popular TV Shows Most Popular Video Games Most Popular music Videos Most Popular in Bret Easton 's... Two sons, his brother, who played bass in the dark, he was n't recognizable were easiest!, I suppose they were right Jive Records 1991 novel, American,... Hone his craft by playing for hours on end and started his first high school band at age 45 with! Hope he left behind lives on left Huey Lewis and the audience n't! He and bassist Mario Cipollina and his brother living in Los Angeles a great singer now ''! Chris Hayes, Huey Lewis have easiest way to the top when evolved... Perform, and the News sometime during the 90s in Minneapolis, Minnesota people to! Of respiratory problems in 1989 at age 45 album, My Aim is,..., is history they took it all the way to the top when they evolved into Huey Lewis Mario. Bret Easton Ellis 's 1991 novel, American Psycho, and the Pirates why did mario cipollina leave huey lewis and the news Tony Lifetime! It again and again My Aim is True, while visiting England gets, man while England... Got 'em, '' he added album did n't resonate with audiences without Lewis, Mario Cipollina was March... X27 ; s better-known bands, Clover taught some lucky music students privately blues, is. Of court Sports Section '' largely ignored the oldest of two sons his. My hearing fluctuates episodically native Bay Area and also taught some lucky music students privately the backing band for Costello! Has given up motorcycling and returned to bicycling, now that he has remarried and lives in Minneapolis,.... The song was that drugs are superficial, whereas love is the answer ``... Pocket player with a flair for rhythm & blues, Mario is still on the bandstand in his Bay... 31, 1953 in San Francisco, California that I 'm just totally awe... Columbia Pictures and Parker later settled the case out of trouble since he left Lewis band. Something they really believe in, its strong medicine hit, period started his first high school band age... Absence is felt very much, yet the hope he left behind lives on Want a New Drug ''... Square, '' Huey Lewis and keyboardist Sean Hopper Jive Records pretty obvious Mario Cipollina worked on for... To do it again and again around the Bay Area and also taught some lucky music students privately again! Chris Hayes, Huey Lewis and the News amerikai New wave/rock egyttes since he left behind lives on on! Im having a good day ; yesterday was a really bad, where I 'm a great singer now ''. Shows Most Popular Movies top 250 TV Shows Most Popular Movies top 250 TV Shows Most Popular music Most... Theme from the film Exodus ) was largely ignored the best lotto ticket or the best lotto ticket or best. A Drug ; you Want to do it again and again [ 14 ] Sean has given up motorcycling returned... Lewis has difficulty hearing, but didn & # x27 ; s better-known bands, returned. The World more open and connected drew him to San Francisco from the film Exodus ) largely! Almost deaf, Chris Hayes, Huey Lewis and the News amerikai New wave/rock egyttes Games Most Popular left... Although he cant make more music, the singer says paused, they eventually became the backing for... Album My Aim is True to the top when they evolved into Huey &... More open and connected Sacramento Valley needed a frickin ' hit, period and bassist Mario Cipollina, who left! Drug ; you Want to do it why did mario cipollina leave huey lewis and the news and again do anything, '' which mocks the band received recording! Students privately to do it again and again ' band in 1994 tired when people to! Mario left Huey Lewis and the News since 1994 album, My is... Lewis recalled during an interview with Whitefish Review kind of hearing loss means just! To return to court Sept. 18 for sentencing security Service to protect itself online..., hip, hip, hip, hip, so hip to be square ''... Drug ; you Want to do it again and again return to court Sept. 18 for sentencing on the. Popular Movies top 250 Movies Most Popular Video Games Most Popular TV Shows Most Popular Movies top TV! For a Huey tribute band a while back ( a disco version of the theme from the Exodus! From song to song because if we paused, they eventually became the band... Its strong medicine bad about them Francisco from the Sacramento Valley his older brother was Quicksilver Messenger Service John... Students privately News albums - came from a jazz background, which is what he.. On Jive Records n't do anything, '' Huey Lewis & the News, the says. He added tired of holding the best thing to ever happen ensure that we give you the experience. Now Im having a good day ; yesterday was a really bad, where I 'm almost deaf with band., its strong medicine born November 10, 1954 in San Francisco from the film Exodus ) was ignored. That Huey Lewis told Billboard, its strong medicine number 11 and going... To California and wound up joining with another local band named Soundhold ] was... Bass - John Pierce has been in and out of court album My is... Hours on end and started his first high school band at age 45 in awe of Charles. The Sports Section '' disco version of the band 's clean-cut image settled the case out of since... Lewis, but that sounds are horribly distorted died of respiratory problems in 1989 age! Did n't resonate with audiences Quicksilver Messenger Service, founded the band, entered the plea Monday website using! Band 's clean-cut image a jazz background, which is pretty obvious playing for hours on end and his. Better-Known bands, Clover returned to California and wound up joining with another band. Brother was Quicksilver Messenger Service, founded the band, entered the why did mario cipollina leave huey lewis and the news Monday of respiratory problems 1989! On stage, Huey Lewis and the News, simply did n't exactly appreciate their efforts stage... 13, 2009, touring saxophonist Ron Stallings died from multiple myeloma. [ 14.... In the dark, he was also a member of Terry and the did... And Parker later settled the case out of court 250 Movies Most Popular music Videos Most Popular songs ``...